What's a great family dog?

sgrbear

Asked by sgrbear at 4:56 PM on Jul. 21, 2010 in Pets

• It depends on your lifestyle.. If you're active, if you have a decent yard, if you live in an apartment, there are certain breeds that do better under certain living conditions...This might help you in your decision..
    http://animal.discovery.com/breedselector/dogselectorindex.do#apl_nav
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 5:02 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

• Labrador
    Retriever
    Beagle
    NikkiMomof2grls

Answer by NikkiMomof2grls at 4:58 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

• I think all dogs are great family dogs as long as you treat them right.
    itsallabtthem84

Answer by itsallabtthem84 at 4:58 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

• golden retreivers hands down! i had one growing up and when i go back home he still acts how i did when i was younger they become very protective over their families and are very easy to train they are practically born trained :]
    Italiana88

Answer by Italiana88 at 5:01 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

• golden retrievers and german sheppards
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 5:02 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

• Oh and please consider rescue groups when you're looking... There are so many wonderful dogs that need a forever home, and you can look for certain breeds, they aren't all mixed breed.
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 5:04 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

• Personally it depends on where you live and how active you and your family are. We have 10 acres of land and had 2 dogs until a few years ago and the one was a German Shepard and the other is Australian shepherd rottweiler mix. Both were rescued one from a friend who was abusive to the animal and the other from a shelter. Retrievers are good with kids, but they also shed an awful lot. I myself prefer short haired dogs and love rottweilers. We are looking for another German shepherd to rescue though now that we lost him.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 6:21 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

• A good natured, calmer dog. It depends a lot on how old your kids are, how much time you have, how much energy you have, etc. I think a dog that has settled down a bit like around 3-4 is a good age unless you have older kids and a puppy can be ok. I wouldn't recommend a puppy for young kids only because they have so much to learn, a lot of pups nip to play and jump all over and are still messing in the house. I have a 2 year old so I prefer an older dog. I have an absolutly wonderful minature australian shepherd (who I adopted from a shelter), she is the best dog I've ever had, but she is also getting old now and is very mellow which is great so she's not knocking around my toddler. If you have older kids a hyper dog can be handled more easily. I think some of best dogs for family's that I have personally dealt with are Australian Shepherds, Beagles (though they can be very hyper they are very good natured),and English Bulldog
    stargazerwolf

Answer by stargazerwolf at 10:24 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

• My pug is wonderful with kids. She is sweet and funny and thinks all kids are hers. My Boston Terrier gets upset with crying babies and is nervous so I would say that she would have a shorter life if she had to live around kids.
    mmmegan38

Answer by mmmegan38 at 11:21 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

• We love our Boxer. We have had a Boxer in our home for 12 years now and always will.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 11:30 PM on Jul. 21, 2010