Best way to get rid of binky?

Suggestions?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:04 PM on Jul. 21, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Gather up all the binkies and any other baby items that your toddler has outgrown and have a good bye ceremony with your LO. Let your toddler know that as apart of becoming a big girl/boy we have to say good bye to some things so we can say hello to new things! Throw them all away (or give away the toys) with a grand good bye. There may be some tears and hurt feelings but be strong. Comfort but don't baby your toddler. It'll be hard at first but if you give in one time it will be harder the next time. *hugs*
    Cassarah

Answer by Cassarah at 5:08 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

• Allow the child to hold on to it until they are ready to give it up. My children both had bears (stuffed animals) that they carried around. When they were old enough to let them go they did. Otherwise you create problems because it is a form of security for a child.'
    CafeMochaMom1

Answer by CafeMochaMom1 at 5:09 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

• With my oldest and my 20 month old we started out limiting it to just the crib - for bedtime and naptimes. With my oldest we just "lost it" one night, he cried, but after that never asked for it again. My 20 month old still has his in his crib, but he rarely uses it. Right now when he goes to bed instead of putting it in his mouth, he either just holds it, or sets it down next to him at night.

Answer by missanc at 5:10 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

• I heard that if you snip a little bit off the binky every week that eventually the child will let go of it by themselves.
    Decker

Answer by Decker at 5:15 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

• My daughter was done with her pacifer on the day of her birthday turning two with not even a tear. How we did it was gradually worked up to it. We only allowed it for nap time and bed time a few months prior. At some of the nap times I would distract her ritual nap time by giving her a stuffed animal or what ever so that she did not think of the pacifer. This worked some of the time. As it got closer to her birthday we were getting her ready for her big girl toddler bed. We told her she is getting to be a big girl and when she turns two she will not need the pacifer anymore. She was so excited about the bed. Then a couple days before her birthday she was sleeping in her bed and we made a big deal about it. On her birthday we made sure EVERY pacifer was out of site and distracted her about the cool new bed she was in. Never had a problem! You could try new sheets or a big stuffed character pillow of thier favorite.
    AmyLynn5398

Answer by AmyLynn5398 at 5:15 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

• Poke it with a needle. It will not give your child the same satisfaction it once did, but will not cause the drama taking it away will. He will throw it away. At least let's hope he will.
    KISS1224

Answer by KISS1224 at 5:26 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

• do you have a build a bear near you? you could take her to build a bear then put one or two inside the bear....my child put all hers in a bag and gave it to my sister for her baby she was about to have my child was 2 1/2 when i took them away
    Shannon706

Answer by Shannon706 at 5:43 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

• Cut a hole in the end of it.. Worked like a charm for my kids.
    Bethsunshine

Answer by Bethsunshine at 3:51 PM on Jul. 22, 2010