Should I worry about Hyperemises with second child?

Simply put I had a horrible time of it with having hyperemisis during my pregnancy with my first born. Currently trying to conceive and wondering if my risk for having it again is higher lower the same or to be expected?

brightflashes

Asked by brightflashes at 5:09 PM on Jul. 21, 2010 in Trying to Conceive

• I'm not sure what the research says, but I can tell you about my own experience. With my first pregnancy I threw up every day for 19 weeks (usually multiple times). I even started with morning sickness before I missed my period. I was so scared I would be the same way w/ #2. I was afraid to take the pregnancy test because I felt fine, and was sure as soon as I saw the positive I'd start throwing up LOL! Finally at about 7 weeks I took the test. I felt great and only threw up ONCE the whole pregnancy!
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 5:17 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

• Every pregnancy is different, but let me tell you, I had hyperemesis with my DS and I had it much worse time the second time around when I was pregnant with DD. Had to go to ER four times just to get fluids, and it lasted about 2 months, until 22 weeks, longer than with my DS. Zofran was the only thing that I could take so I would stop throwing up & go to work (still was super nausated though).
    I truly hope your experience is different!!
    MommaofH2

Answer by MommaofH2 at 5:47 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

• That's definitely reassuring. I've read the statistics and it's just as rare the second time around some sources say and others say it's more common but still rare the second time around if you have it in the first place. Thanks so much for sharing your experience!
    brightflashes

Comment by brightflashes (original poster) at 5:19 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

• I had it during this current pregnancy for the first 14 weeks. This is my 5th pregnancy and all of my others were practically symptom free.
    Erin814

Answer by Erin814 at 5:43 PM on Jul. 21, 2010