How can I get my 3 year old to go potty in the potty everytime?

I am in the process of potty training my 3 year old. she know what going potty is and she knows that you go potty on the potty, however I am having trouble getting her to do it all of the time. She is an independant child and likes to play by herself. I think a lot of her not going on the potty all of the time is that she gets busy and just doesn't want to. I have her enrolled in Preschool that starts the end of August (which I know she will LOVE), however they want her to be completely potty trained when she starts. Does anyone have any tipd/ideas on how I can get her over this last hurdle and get her to go potty in the potty all of the time and get rid of the pull ups once and for all?

ErinS08

Asked by ErinS08 at 5:10 PM on Jul. 21, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• A sticker chart with a reward system is how I potty trained my daughter. If she went potty she got a piece of candy 2 if she made poop. And if by the end of the month there was a full chart she got a new toy.
    Decker

Answer by Decker at 5:13 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

• Thank you for the idea. However I have done both with her already. They worked great to get her to know what going potty on the potty was but now has decided she wants nothing to do with them. Giving her rewards for going doesn't seem to do anything anymore.
    ErinS08

Comment by ErinS08 (original poster) at 5:20 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

• I'm right there with you - - my 3 yr old starts preschool in September and is still struggling with potty training. She knows what to do, and can do it - - and sometimes does really well! And then there are the days on end when she gets too busy, and reminders only make her scream. . . . . . My plan of action - - beginning next Tuesday we have absolutely zero plans for the 5 weeks prior to school starting (much to my in-law's dismay - they're coming in 3 weeks). We are staying home, in the backyard, with a potty seat until she gets it (backyard because it's easier to clean up).
    TiffanyMarie80

Answer by TiffanyMarie80 at 6:41 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

• When i was working with my son my dad was a big help while i was working and even when i was home... he stayed with me at that time. I didn't and still don't allow smoking in my house. My dad is a smoker and my son loved to follow papa around. So we started a new thing with him if he wanted to be able to go outside with papa when he smoked he had to use the potty all day no accidents and if he refused to go then he wasn't able to go outside with papa and in the weeks following there was less reminding and it got to the point he would go potty and come ask papa if he was going outside to smoke yet and that he had went potty... Find something that will motivate her to go. Only you know what she likes to do and find something that it wouldn't hurt her to not have but really enjoys having and tell her she can do it if she goes potty... its best if its something that happens many times during the day
    Mama2dragon1fae

Answer by Mama2dragon1fae at 7:14 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

• Good ideas here. Just stick to it. It will click soon. You are doing a good job!
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 8:09 PM on Jul. 21, 2010