How do i get my 2yr old talking??

My 2yr old lil girl receives speech therapy 3 times a week but i want to help her at home. any suggestions on games or activity's we can to to help her start talking.

teen_mommy1133

Asked by teen_mommy1133 at 5:19 PM on Jul. 21, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I point to an object and ask my son what it is. He will play along with me and tell me. If I cant get him to tell me I will ask him if it is something else. Example I will point to a car and ask if it is a van or truck, and he will tell me no car.
    Decker

Answer by Decker at 5:21 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

• My son receives speech therapy weekly as well. What we do to encourage speech (well theres a lot but I'll give you a small list)
    -read/sing/say repetitive books, songs, or nursery rhymes. When she is well acquainted with them, cut off the last word in a sentence.
    -Find something shes super interested in and excels at and use that to your advantage (with us its puzzles, animals, and music) if I knew what your daughter was good with I'd be able to suggest something more specific.
    -Positive reinforcement with any ( and I mean seriously ANY) verbal attempt at communication
    LovableNeurotic

Answer by LovableNeurotic at 5:24 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

• pointing is a great thing
    mine is three, speech therapy too
    just started to pint
    and give reward if child trys to say something
    hard not to act on what you know thery need, encourage child to say word or part for item needed
    and give item when child attempts
    like she wants cookie, say cookie, encourage her to repeat, if she even trys a little bit at all-reward with cookie
    i just read about this and not done with the chapter, but toys, food , ANYTHING that child wants or likes USE IT to try to get into your child that using a word will give her what she wants, when she makes that connection-she is on the way
    communication is very hard, so NOT trying is easier, when she knows that a try at a word will be rewarded-they say this will help
    like i said i am not done with this chapter
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 5:26 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

• Are the therapists giving you hints, too? We repeat 3 common things every time we do a certain activity. If it's bath time we talk about water, bubbles and towels. If it's lunch time we talk about spoons, cereal and milk. You get the idea. We also hold the object we are talking about next to our cheek so they associate talking with the movement of our mouth. It gets them to look at you and the object. If we are working on shapes or colors of blocks, we hold it up and say the word very clearly and then say, "you try!". Keep working at it, and give options that force an answer. Would you like milk or water? And when our little ones get upset, we always say, "use your words". It is a constant game of repeating and labeling everything. :)
    love2snorkel70

Answer by love2snorkel70 at 5:26 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

• Some kids are just late talkers. My yougest would not talk at two but he would sing songs. Eventually he started talking and wouldn't stop!! I wouldn't worry to much!!
    TJones32

Answer by TJones32 at 5:26 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

• She loves animals especially cats, dogs, and birds she also like building blocks and loves water she can say very few words like dog ,bird, bottle, mine, water, juice, mommy, daddy, nama(grandma) napa(grandpa), this, wow wow (for wow wow wubbzzy), barney and pretty (shes always calling her self pretty)
    teen_mommy1133

Comment by teen_mommy1133 (original poster) at 5:34 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

• "She loves animals especially cats, dogs, and birds she also like building blocks and loves water she can say very few words like dog ,bird, bottle, mine, water, juice, mommy, daddy, nama(grandma) napa(grandpa), this, wow wow (for wow wow wubbzzy), barney and pretty (shes always calling her self pretty)"

Where I would start from there would be to add a second word in with one of those, thats a decent vocabulary! Any time you mention one of those words, tag along an easy second word, so she can get accustomed to putting the two together. "pet dog" "drink _____" "blocks up" kwim? Encourage these words by looking at pictures (books, flashcards, computer screen, whatever)

LovableNeurotic

Answer by LovableNeurotic at 5:39 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

• Have you asked her speech therapist? That would probably be the best source - you could find out exactly what they are working on and reinforce that at home. It also depends on what level your daughter is at. Is she verbal at all? Would you consider sign language or using PECS?

Answer by missanc at 8:40 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

• American Sign Language.
    Also, picture charts.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 12:04 AM on Jul. 22, 2010

• read a book to them, have them sound out the words for you, get some puzzles and say what it is like duck and have them say it back to you, my 2yr old went through this and this is what i did an he's talking up a storm now, good luck
    mom2twoboys41

Answer by mom2twoboys41 at 10:18 AM on Jul. 22, 2010