When did you daughter first use a tampon? adult content

My daughter is 14 and had a period for two years, she only wheres maxi pads but ive but her tampons and told her that alot better and more easy and not so messy Ive told her to ask me when she is going to use them so I can help her or she can do it on her own w.e . She still dosent want to use then and I'm fine with that but I wish she could because she will like them alot better.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:24 PM on Jul. 21, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• My dd is almost 16 and refuses to wear a tampon. She just doesn't feel comfortable using them. I figure she'll start usring them when she feels like it. I think I didn't start using them until I was almost 18.
    anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 5:27 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

• I'm still prego with my daughter, so she has a few years yet. But I will tell you, I wouldn't push the tampon thing. I only used tampons for years until I developed an allergy to the chemicals in them and have had some sever issues because of it. When my daughter is old enough for that I'll get her a cup, but the chemicals in tampons are just to dangerous, especially for a teen.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 5:27 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

• I started using tampons when I was 16. I would just let her wear maxi pads if that is what she is comfortable with, she may just be scared that she will leak if she wears them. I know I am always scared that I will leak when I wear them, even though I change them every time I use the restroom. She also may not be comfortable with sticking something in her at that age.
    Decker

Answer by Decker at 5:28 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

• I started using tampons at about 10, I hated pads and hated having to change for gym when I had them on, so I switched to tampons... But like I said above, if she isn't comfortable, don't push it. When she's ready she'll start, I would highly suggest looking in to getting her (and you) cups... They are chemical free and there is no waist!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 5:31 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

• I am 28 years old and I still don't wear a tampon. I have tried using them before, but I don't like the feel of them up there lol. Maybe cause I don't give myself time to get use to them lol. I also have a thing with freaking out that they will get stuck like the string will break lol. Even now I can't use them anyway cause I am really really heavy.

Oh ya anyway my DD is only 5 so I have a few years to worry about that or lets hope so anyway lol
    mommy5409

Answer by mommy5409 at 5:33 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

• I don't know if this helps or not, but me and my sister both didn't start using them until age 16. We were both a bit anxiety prone, and in my case nervous about whether it would hurt or not and if it would make me seem like a loose person or something. It can have various complicated stuff when any sort of anxiety sets in. I only mention this because perhaps your daughter is having some of the same anxieties or is of the mind set that what she's using now works and so that's why she's hesitant to change. Maybe she heard a story from a friend who got tss or something who knows, but whatever her reasons are, it would have been nice in retrospect if my mom had sat down with me and explained it really well and helped me feel more confident about actually putting something in there. For some it's no big deal, but for me and my sister it was really uncomfortable. Hope that helps!
    brightflashes

Answer by brightflashes at 5:39 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

• ill never use a tampon....more at risk TSS..and just rather wear a pad
    photogrypher

Answer by photogrypher at 7:39 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

• I would rather wear a pad. I am scared of some crazy infection and the blood just sitting inside me. I don't wear tampons they are uncomfortable to me.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 8:12 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

• I'm 33 and used tampons once when I was younger (16-17) for 2 hours. I had a SEVERE reaction to them. The doc that I saw at the time told me that if I continued to wear them (which I didn't) I would cause major damage. Thankfully i have all boys so I don't have to worry about that :) But if I had a daughter, I wouldnt' push the issue. Too many complications and risks from tampons. This is your daughters personal choice. She may never use them. Don't push the issue.
    LorisChar

Answer by LorisChar at 10:53 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

• If she doesn't want to wear them - don't push. She's 14 for goodness sakes. She's still trying to "grow into" her body.

My daughter is 15 and has been wearing them for a year. But SHE came to me about wearing them because her flow is so heavy that she was "feeling icky" during her cycle with just pads. We sat down and I told her the rules in wearing them.....never beyond 4 hours (No worries there she has to change them at least every hour on her heaviest days), not over night, and not after cycle has stopped.
    But it was her decision to start wearing them.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 8:00 AM on Jul. 22, 2010