Is fat free milk okay for 2 year old's and up?

Or would it be better to do 1-2%? I've gotten a lot of mixed answers. My son has always been right in the middle for check ups but does have his chubby stages as well before growing. :]

His birthday isn't until December but I'm just excited that another year has gone by and want to be ready for all the changes like toddler beds, potty training, and of course all the new toys he'll be able to play with now :P

ours

Asked by ours at 5:35 PM on Jul. 21, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• After one year old..I am pretty sure thats all they want anyone to have... fat free.
    Cochise

Answer by Cochise at 5:36 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

• Ok..I just looked it up online here...they are saying after the age of two
    Cochise

Answer by Cochise at 5:37 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

• Is he getting fat from other sources? After 2 our pediatrician recommends 2% if their growth is on track. There is no reason to eliminate good fats. They are essential for all stages of growth and development.
    love2snorkel70

Answer by love2snorkel70 at 5:38 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

• I personally stick with whole milk until 2 years of age, 2% after that. Both my kids have been in the upper 90% for height/weight, although now that my son is 6, he's gotten very lean and falls closer to the median for weight. Fat is important for brain development and I don't believe there is anything wrong with milkfat!! However, we don't eat very many processed foods so I think you need to look at the big picture nutritionally with your child, and ask your ped what would be appropriate.
    MommaofH2

Answer by MommaofH2 at 5:39 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

• Generally, you can stop giving whole milk at 2 years of age. I think you could go to 2% now, but I wouldn't go to skim milk just yet. Your son's brain may still be developing and the brain needs some fat to properly develop.
    neebug3766

Answer by neebug3766 at 5:39 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

• I personally don't give my kids fat free. I want them to get the calcium and vit D from whole so that is what they drink. But I think it is safe to give them it 2
    Claudiomom

Answer by Claudiomom at 5:41 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

• In my family (and when I was growing up) we don't switch over to 2% until any child is over 5. And we've never had any problems with weight because of it. And we are Native, so weight is a huge issue. But once a child gets to 5, we start giving them 2%. Kids are not like adults. They need the fats, proteins, vitamins and everything else that a fattier milk provides.
    crazedaffe

Answer by crazedaffe at 6:10 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

• My family only drinks whole milk and soy milk. So not sure if I'd be of much help. Call you child's doctor and see what they say about it.
    elly25

Answer by elly25 at 6:52 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

• My DR told me that 1% or fat free is recommended after 2 years old. We drink 1%.
    liz.1986

Answer by liz.1986 at 8:08 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

• Yeah, my doctor said that as long as he was getting enough fat in his diet in other areas (they can start peanut butter at 2 and that is one good sourse) that fat free is best. We did 2% for the year from 2-3 simply because he was always so skinny, but now that he's a fairly mid-line weight we just do fat free.
    imafuswb

Answer by imafuswb at 8:35 PM on Jul. 21, 2010