Candidate Bashing

I know that there are some people who have been upset about the bashing of Obama that has been going on here. Has anyone noticed that all the late night television programs are only bashing on McCain? Letterman, Leno, O'Brian etc. All of them seem to be cracking on McCain/Palin only and not Obama. Am I the only one who has noticed this? Are the networks biased? Can they be?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:57 PM on Oct. 1, 2008 in Politics & Current Events

• As if the McCain/Palin scary ticket doesn't deserve to be bashed. Have you seen that woman in an interview? She is dumber than a box of hair, and McCain must be senile for choosing her. Come on! This is utterly ridiculous. Those people scare me.
    OOHPFG

Answer by OOHPFG at 12:03 AM on Oct. 2, 2008

• I've been feeling for a while that the majority of the media are biased, that is, leaning towards a more liberal stance. But, then again, this could completely just be me being overly sensitive to any negative commentary regarding the Rep. candidates because I will be voting for McCain. I've just taken to watching Fox News so that I don't get so angry. It's pretty obvious that they're leaning towards the Republican candidates :-)
    sgalsmommy

Answer by sgalsmommy at 12:04 AM on Oct. 2, 2008

• Technically speaking, journalists are not supposed to show bias. So news programs and political shows (think Meet the Press) should be neutral, and I think, usually are. Networks are supposed to offer equal time to candidates, meaning that if they interview one, they are supposed to invite the other. That doesn't mean candiddates take them up on it. Shows like Letterman are entertainment shows. They do have to invite both candidates, I believe, to fall in line with network requirements. However, what they say in their monologues falls under artistic expression so that can say whatever they want. Who really looks to Leno for serious political discussion, anyways?
    crazydogchick

Answer by crazydogchick at 12:06 AM on Oct. 2, 2008

• They can't pick on Obama. Forgive me for saying so, but this is true... if O'Brian, Leno, and/or Letterman were cracking on Obama, millions of supporters would say it's because he's black.
    brandyj

Answer by brandyj at 12:40 AM on Oct. 2, 2008

• Those guys you mentioned aren't journalists; they are entertainers. They are under no obligation to be unbiased. I heard Letterman's rant the night McCain cancelled on him. After that, I doubt he will reschedule! To me, it merely looks like those entertainers lean more toward the liberal end of the political spectrum. I suspect, if Obama wins the election, they will have plenty of jabs at his expense, once he is in office!
    yarnjunkie

Answer by yarnjunkie at 12:59 AM on Oct. 2, 2008

• I suspect it's because the Reps are just so much easier to make fun of! Trust me though, if Obama does get elected, they will find ways to poke fun at him too! If you've watched them as long as they have been on the air, every single President is the running joke. It's just for fun, so try to lighten up! The bashing on here is not in fun though, and all claims to truth should be researched from nonpartisan, unbiased sources. I belong to a pro-Obama group and I have had to reply to posts about McCain and Palin that have been proven to be false. I am a crusader for truth...I don't care if it makes the Reps look good! No candidate is without fault, and both of sides have been caught making misleading or completely false statements! You have to make your decision based on facts that have been PROVEN, not rumors.
    indexmom

Answer by indexmom at 1:33 AM on Oct. 2, 2008

• I'm guessing the events of the past few weeks and the way McCain/Palin has handled them have given the late night talk shows more fodder for them.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 11:05 AM on Oct. 2, 2008

• The media has always been BIASED and has always leaned towards the LEFT when it comes to politics....it's the people that watch this type of programming and believe it without doing their own homework that scares me...we have become a nation of followers and have abandoned the idea of thinking for yourself.
    THINK BEFORE YOU VOTE '08 IT''S NOT ILLEGAL YET!
    Anonymous