Okay, I had some rough times, and i need answers about the law

I live in michigan genesee co.

My land lord we owe him 1000 dollars we got a unstamped letter in the mail from him it was dated the 12th demanding the money,

well, we took it to the post office, and of course the mailman said wow he is introuble there is no stamp nor does it have a post mark from the office whats the charge or fine for this?
Also, My husband fell off the porch twice because didnt have it blocked in properly it was a deck,
do i need to seek legal counsel ? he said he would have me out within a week, which i know he cannot!! he wanted us out this weekend with our kids no cannot do this, he tried to do this before and wrote the court papers wrong and it is still on my hubbys credit report, which we paid, we have had hard times since he fell he couldnt work for awhile, but did help pay some rent buy working for the land lord , which only gave us 200 but, i just need help, i am not in good health

LexsiesMommy

Asked by LexsiesMommy at 5:46 PM on Jul. 21, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• I need to get out of here hot moma~.something in this house i beleive it is mold in the bbasement, because they have it all hooked up wrong down there where the washer goes, its getting my family sick,

Well in that case start looking for a new place. Go to the court date if he ever gets one, and contend it on grounds of federal mail fruad and unlivable housing conditions. Any thing you get in writing, respond to in writing, deliver it by hand, through a third party, or certified mail just make sure you get a signature. Try and serve the thirty day intent to vacate before he even takes you to court. Make sure to include that you have no intent to pay unless court ordered do to having to pay the cost to find a livable housing situation. This is a start, any thing else let me know I went through the same crap and worse. It's actually easy you don't even need an attorney, just the basic concept of law, the net, and a phone.
    hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 11:54 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

• He's in trouble for leaving a letter in your mailbox? People leave fliers and stuff in mailboxes here all the time. When we rented, I wouldn't have cared if my landlord left a note in our mailbox.....I'm not even sure why you brought it to the attention of the USPS. Granted tech. he's not suppose to do that, but at the same time it's his property, he's trying to inform you, etc. Any charges or fine would be up to the USPS. They would be ones to prosecute, charge, or fine him if they felt it was warranted. There is nothing further you can do in that regard. You brought it to USPS attention, nothing more you can do. If they want to charge, fine or prosecute him they will. It's between them (USPS) and your landlord......
    SAHMinIL2

Answer by SAHMinIL2 at 6:00 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

• Ok..I don't really get why you went to the USPS with the letter..that confuses me because it has nothing to do with what is going on. I am assuming he gave you a Notice to Quit letter? In Michigan he is only required to give you at least 7 days to get out from the time you receive the letter. If the letter is date the 12th..not sure why you didn't get it until the 19th?? Anyway, you can either pay the rent or ignore the notice. If you pay ANY money to him, get a receipt! If he accepts the money then that nullifies the Notice. If you ignore the Notice, then he has to file with the District Court. As for your DH falling, I don't really now what to tell you there. After the first fall, you should have raised hell. Here is a link for you with more info on tenent rights in your state: http://www.sheltonlegal.net/html/tenant_rights_in_michigan.html
    sheena696

Answer by sheena696 at 6:14 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

• As for being evicted, the best you can do is learn what the local laws are regarding evictions and tenant rights. Be prepare for the worst! You may not be able to move, but you also may honestly have no choice! It would be better for you to move, then have the police show up and kick you to the curb. Find a relative or friends to temp. move in with if you have too!
    SAHMinIL2

Answer by SAHMinIL2 at 6:03 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

• You're biggest concern is that he left an unstamped envelope in your mailbox. His biggest concern is that you're $1000 behind and he probably NEEDS the income from his rental properties. I feel bad for you, but it's a hard circle. He's being asked to go without income that I'm sure he depends on to survive as well.

Bezu

Answer by Bezu at 7:27 AM on Jul. 22, 2010

• P'S we didnt get the letter until the 19th
    LexsiesMommy

Comment by LexsiesMommy (original poster) at 5:46 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

• You can go to a Justice of the Peace and ask them for info on Tenants Rights. You can also google it.
    itsallabtthem84

Answer by itsallabtthem84 at 5:52 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

• Yea thats a great idea, i don't know about your state but I know that a lot of states you need to be behind 3 months in rent to get evicted so check about your state and see what that says as for your husband falling from the deck I don't know how much you can claim that as that should've been taken up with a lawyer when he fell but its all worth a try. Good Luck!!!
    Linda_PF

Answer by Linda_PF at 5:56 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

• First off the mail thing is illegal. It's a federal offense. If he hasn't served with any court papers yet you aren't in an eviction yet. Though you need to look for other housing our pay soon. If you need more help give me specifics I'll look into what you need just PM me and give me an hour. I'm preoccupied at the moment and will be freed up then.
    hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 6:29 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

• YES but he OPENED my mail box WITHOUT PLACING A STAMP NOR A POST OFFICE MARKING ON IT,
    THE POST OFFICE WILL BE OUT TOMMOROW BECAUSE IN MICHIGAN IT IS A FEDERAL OFFENCE...

we did raise hell, but he seemed alright but he is a shyster,
    The post office man indeed said it was agianst the law to even leave a flyer where i live,,...
    thanks for your output...sorry for caps....my computer is messin
    LexsiesMommy

Comment by LexsiesMommy (original poster) at 6:40 PM on Jul. 21, 2010