when I shaved my maltese for his summer short haircut, I discovered that he has brown patches

on his skin, large ones...does this mean that he is not full bred? He came with papers, but stupidly I did not remember to pick them up when I bought him and the folks moved to chicago...just asking. It doesn't matter, I have no plans to breed him. Just wondering. thanks!!

ilovedogs1967

Asked by ilovedogs1967 at 5:53 PM on Jul. 21, 2010 in Pets

• When a dog has brown or reddish brown spots on his skin, it is usually from allergies. While it is possible that he is not a pedigreed dog, if you love him, that won't ever matter.
    neebug3766

Answer by neebug3766 at 5:57 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

• Many white dogs have undercoat spotting, that is totally normal. Many Maltese have black tips and pigmentation.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 11:16 PM on Jul. 21, 2010