Having a hard time with a 2 1/2 year old

My daughter turned 2 in February. She's driving me crazy! She throws fits constantly. She isn't talking much and is hard to understand. She understands everything but has trouble saying words and expressing herself, which in my opinion is why she is having such bad meltdowns. I've used the time out chair and that works for a few days. She whines all the time too, like if I don't instantly give her what she wants. She goes through extremely clingy moments, especially while I'm cooking dinner, and wants me to hold her and just sit with her. I have a 12 month old too, and he's much better adjusted! I don't know what to do with her to get her to stop whining and crying so much. I understand the tantrums, I know they're typical, but the constant whining and crying is getting ridiculous. I feel like I'm always making excuses for her, like "oh she's tired", or hungry, or scared, etc... What's up?

crystalhuskey

Asked by crystalhuskey at 6:25 PM on Jul. 21, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Mt daughter is two in a half as well. She'll be 3 in Dec. She throws tantrums a lot. At least two a day. I put her in the corner until she can calm (sp) down. The ask her what her issue was. Take it from there. Have you tried signing with her? That might make it easier for her to comunicate (sp) with you.
    elly25

Answer by elly25 at 6:28 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

• Also at 2 1/2 she can help you out with small things while making dinner. It might make her feel like a big girl.
    elly25

Answer by elly25 at 6:29 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

• Read the books 1-2-3Magic and Love and Logic. I'd start with 1-2-3 magic - it's an easy read, and it gives you a straightforward, no-nonsense, but very loving approach to handling discipline with kids 2 yrs and up. I've used it in special ed classrooms, regular ed classrooms, and with my 3.5 yr old - - Love it!!
    TiffanyMarie80

Answer by TiffanyMarie80 at 6:29 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

• Thanks! Yeah, she usually sits on the counter with me while I prepare the food, but once the oven is on I don't want her in the kitchen!
    crystalhuskey

Comment by crystalhuskey (original poster) at 6:34 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

• My daughter just turned 2 and she did have similar issues. I think it has gotten better it lasted like a month. Dont get me wrong she still has melt downs but i think just keeping them busy ya know makes a difference we try to do lots of stuff together and now i try to involve her in house hold chores so she feels important!
    melk819

Answer by melk819 at 9:28 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

• This too shall pass. It is frustration because she can't communicate and even when she can communicate she doesn't always get what she wants. Such is life but she hasn't figured it out yet. It will get better...I promise. Just stay consistent and help her use her words as much as possible. Sometimes, chatting in front of a mirror can help...so she can see the shape of her mouth as she is trying to form the words. Good Luck!
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 10:41 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

• It's a phase, just hang in there and just try and keep her involved and busy. Give her some pots and pans to play with while you cook. My kids love that.
    buzymamaof3

Answer by buzymamaof3 at 12:01 AM on Jul. 22, 2010

• my son is 2 1/2 he will be 3 next month and he's all over the place she will grow out of it soon my oldest did by the time he was 4
    mom2twoboys41

Answer by mom2twoboys41 at 10:16 AM on Jul. 22, 2010