So what is the downside to being a Working Mom?

Other than being away from your kids and other people thinking you're paying someone else to raise them? I mean...seriously...you're working, out of the house and earning an income. Why do some people have a problem with that?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:38 PM on Jul. 21, 2010 in Parenting Debate

• I didn't know there was a downside. Being away from my kids for a few days is what saves my sanity. Me and DH work opposite shifts so one of us is always home with them.
    ashisamom

Answer by ashisamom at 6:39 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

• i dunno,i think i have it pretty good..my mom watches my daughter while i work, i work 5am-130pm..so im really not missing much in her life..except getting her up in the morning and takin her to school....not such a big deal!!! i do wish i didnt have to work...but being a single mom, i dont have a choice..
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 6:41 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

• Some people think there's a problem with working if you're a mom. Atleast that's what I pick up sometimes.
    GinNTonic

Answer by GinNTonic at 6:42 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

• The biggest downside for me is missing their "first" everything it seems like, also having the feeling of choosing between your job or kids when things come up, some careers/bosses do not make the balancing between family/work very easy; but other than that, I work so that my husband and I can provide for them and not have to depend on anyone else to. I work and I go to school so I feel like I am doing what I can to be the best role model for them as possible.
    LuvmyFam6

Answer by LuvmyFam6 at 6:53 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

• tell them if they have a problem, then they can pay your bills! till that happens tell em to stay out it ain't none of their business! i've been both a working mom and a student mom! i breastfeed my youngest while getting my ged. don't listen to them, it's your life, you know whats best!
    noel1978

Answer by noel1978 at 6:53 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

• I'm a SAHM now, but I used to be a working mom. The hardest part for me was not being able to take off work as much when my daughter has a special something at daycare, or when she was sick it was difficult to leave work early to go pick her up from daycare. My husband and I had to work around our schedules a lot for sick days, holidays, and such, and it was really difficult because our work schedules were tough. Now that I'm home, sick days and holidays are no longer an issue. It is the one major thing I dread about returning to work in a few years. There are pros and cons to both being a SAHM and a working mom. I don't understand why mothers have to attack each other over doing what is best for each family.

KelleyP77

Answer by KelleyP77 at 7:35 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

• There is no downside for me. I love teaching and never had the desire to give up my career and be a sahm. Plus, I feel I would lose my sanity. My son has never went to daycare b/c my MIL watches him when he is not in preschool.
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 9:32 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

• If I worked, the down side(s) to me would be missing a large part of the day that I could be spending with my kids. Kids grow up and there is no slowing that down, since we can afford it, I choose to stay at home with my kids and be a major role in them growing up. Another down side would be them going to day care, and being exposed to a lot more germs at a young age. Working is just not for me and our family, but if I HAD to I would. BTW I don't look down on working, moms, you do what you got to do or want to do! It's just not for me.
    Cecilydw

Answer by Cecilydw at 9:51 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

• I believe the downside would be not having the energy to take care of everythign I want to (be there for my kids at every moment, cleaning and cooking)
    txdaniella

Answer by txdaniella at 1:17 AM on Jul. 22, 2010

• I don't think there is a down side.
    UpSheRises

Answer by UpSheRises at 12:03 PM on Jul. 22, 2010