Is there some sort of special census going on??

I need to know,because this woman came to our home today (I could tell she was was offical) asking all sorts of questions. We already did the regular census. I just wanna know WHY us? I want informantion as to why they are asking us all sorts of questions and IF we have to do this??Any info is nice:)

momthruivf

Asked by momthruivf at 6:42 PM on Jul. 21, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Did you tell her that you already filled out the paper and sent it back? I have had several come to my door asking about a apartment in my complex. They are just doing there job. Some people did not fill out the form, so they have to go to those address and see if anyone lives there, if they lived there when the paper stuff came out and to collect the info.
    itsallabtthem84

Answer by itsallabtthem84 at 6:50 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

• Yes.
    We already had the regular census taker here. This lady asked my dh about his military service,asked me WHY I am not working full time~irked me,since my kids can't be left alone yet. It just felt intrusive.
    DO we have to take part???
    momthruivf

Comment by momthruivf (original poster) at 7:07 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

• I would have handed her a handy pocket copy of the Constitution and told her to have a nice day. That is what I did for the Census taker that came to my door after I had sent in the form. She was hoping I would provide more info than I did on the form, I was polite and told her no thanks. BTW, she liked the pocket Constitution!
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 7:27 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

• I had a census taker come to my door.She only asked a few questions nothing that could not be obtained easily anyway.Number of people living here ages and birthdates..think that was about it..maybe one or two more ..She had the census worker ID around her neck too.
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 7:32 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

• did she have the census bureau stuff with her? you know, the badge, the bag?
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 8:23 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

• maybe you should check your state or county website. I heard some do an additional census around the time of the official census.
    stacymomof2

Answer by stacymomof2 at 9:17 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

• My parents had a census guy come around, and it was because of the way my mom answered the original questionnaire! She filled in the race question as "human" LOL! Evidently, that isn't recognized as an official race! Even with the guy there looking at her, she would NOT answer any questions! She was nice about it, as was the census-taker. She wouldn't answer if she was hispanic, or over 65, or anything. The worker told her that he couldn't fill in anything. The worker also said that he would have to ask the neighbors a bunch of questions to determine if they (my parents) were who they said they were, and that they were living in their house on April 1. (Like they can't check the census forms from the last 3 cycles, lol!) They have lived at the same address since 1973!! She told them the names of all the neighbors, and told him to go for it! I really wish I could have seen it!
    29again

Answer by 29again at 10:54 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

• You only have to answer how many people are living in the residence. That's it. That is what we did and we have now had 3 different census workers come to our house. The first one was really rude and said that he would have to bother our neighbors if we didn't answer his questions. The second was nice but did talk to our neighbors. The third finally gave my hubby her managers phone number. After talking with her she finally said that yes all we really have to answer is the number of people in the residence but they just really really want more information. She said she would see if she could have them stop coming to our house. So far no more visits.

Winter711

Answer by Winter711 at 12:37 AM on Jul. 22, 2010

• Ok. That is asking WAY to many questions. They only need to know how many people are living in the house. That is ALL you are required to say. anything else, and I would be calling the cops. Anybody can look "official" You can't trust anyone these days. Do not give them anyones SSN or birthdays.
    MKSers

Answer by MKSers at 4:33 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• From what INFO I have now,the census has other surveys that they take all the time. I called the headquarters yesterday. The woman was actually from the government. It some sort of community survey. The woman over the phone was a true beruacrat. She got more animated and sarcastict as our conversation went on. She told me that the woman will be wanting info from us 4 months in a row. I asked,how many YEARS does this go on? She laughed loudly and said,she would be coming back for 4 months in row,next year! SO,I said,okay,for TWO Years then?? Ugh,I don't think we will be participating. It pi**es me off. My dh and I both are working and our kids go to a private school. I think there are ppl who would be happy to participate but IT's NOT me and my family.

momthruivf

Comment by momthruivf (original poster) at 5:49 AM on Jul. 24, 2010