Food stamps and obesity - should this happen?

What do you say about an overweight family receiving foodstamps? (Say there was no medical reason behind the obesity) If husband, wife and kids are ALL overweight, do you think they should be taken off foodstamps? Do you think they should be required to account for the type of foods they eat?

Obesity, especially in kids, just causes more financial burdens on people and our government healthcare.

Your thoughts...

thundernlight

Asked by thundernlight at 6:46 PM on Jul. 21, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Food stamps should be allowed to be used only for vegetables, meat, dairy, eggs, ect. NO JUNK FOOD, SODA, CANDY, OR CRAP.
    Youngwifey2

Answer by Youngwifey2 at 7:12 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

• Umm...I don't think starving people is the answer. Being stricter on what they can buy should be enforced.
    GinNTonic

Answer by GinNTonic at 6:49 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

• Do you mean Means Testing for Food stamps? Ha!! The Federal Government wants to implement it on Medicare Medicaid, Social Security and possibly Unemployment so why not food stamps.
    The only thing I think should happen with food stamps is there should be a much narrower allotment as to what specific types of foods could be bought. There should be some type of encouragement to buy food which is lower in unit price and healthy. How the Government wants to try and work all that out is going to be up to Michelle I guess. Obama wants the people dependent and Michelle wants them skinny....IMO the two don't go together very well.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 7:19 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

• i think that obese people should not be allowed to buy junk/fatty foods & i also think that allowing your children to be and become obese is a form of child abuse.
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 7:29 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

• I completely agree with you. I was never able to spend all of my food stamps and I spent more on groceries and ate healthier when I had them vs. now having to pinch every penny just to buy a banana! They should be able to afford plenty of healthy food and I think their should be restrictions on how many oreos you can buy!
    ashisamom

Answer by ashisamom at 7:04 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

• When do we get the option to bump down questions?
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 7:23 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

• I agree with the posters that say there should be a limit on what can be bought. There have been studies done about poverty & obesity..we know poverty goes hand in hand with food stamps. There is def a link.

I think the whiny pp needs to get off her behind, get a job and get off the govt teat instead of complaining about what someone is posting.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 7:21 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

• No. Of course not. I would never suggest anyone on CM had mental problems...................................
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 7:31 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

• i think that obese people should not be allowed to buy junk/fatty foods

Are eggs junky/fatty?
    How about bread?
    avocado?
    olives?
    Who gets to decide what's healthy and what isn't in a world where the food pyramid is based on which food group lobbyist throws the most money at congress and the USDA?
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 7:38 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

• Their parents drive to the store, purchase the foodstuffs, and prepare it. The kids have no choice in the food from which they eat from when mommy buys hoho's and cheetos.

Which then begs the question - why only the FS parents? If it's really about the safety of the kids, shouldn't, by that logic, ALL parents be subject to the food police and charged with abuse every time they feed their kids chicken nuggets because "that's the only thing they'll eat"? (cause it couldn't POSSIBLY be about people just wanting to be nasty and judgmental about everyone else and not take a look at themselves)
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 7:43 PM on Jul. 21, 2010