What do YOU do when your toddler shakes their head no at you after you tell them to do something?

My daughter is starting to be a BIG stinker!!! Telling us no, or shaking her head no... sometimes once or twice she has even said "Stop!" to us. lol ( im not laughing while she does it but i cant believe she's learned this things already!)

So what do YOU do with your toddlers when they do this? Just like to see what others do that works.

MomNbabyGirl009

Asked by MomNbabyGirl009 at 6:50 PM on Jul. 21, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Work around it. I don't make my son do anything he doesn't want to and if he's got a grump on then I tend to just try and appreciate he isn't in a good mood and work around that.
    keyaziz

Answer by keyaziz at 6:53 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

• It's mostly with me she does this. Her Dad she listens to perfectly fine every time. I don't know what the deal is. I'm consistent in my discipline, I'm firm.. Idk what's up with it!
    MomNbabyGirl009

Comment by MomNbabyGirl009 (original poster) at 6:55 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

• It's because you are the mommy...she knows you are the soft one out of the too and more likely to get away with it...my son is definitely less likely to be cheeky if his dad is about too :)
    keyaziz

Answer by keyaziz at 6:56 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

• She probably listens to dad more, because she's not used to hearing him say "no." So what I used to do, is use a different word or sound...like "uh-uhhhh" while shaking my head no, or some sill word in a stern voice that was enough to make them stop, and look at me, then I could give them "the look." LOL

She's trying to test out her new "command" words to see how far she can get! This is an important time to establish clear boundaries, and be as consistent as possible. Be firm, and fair. :o)
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 7:00 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

• I try not to say no directly to her because i dont want it to become over used...

Ill try saying you need to behave okay? or We don't throw our food on the ground, or....Thats not how we do so and so...

i try explaining to her why not just leave her hanging and i do give her the "look" lol
    MomNbabyGirl009

Comment by MomNbabyGirl009 (original poster) at 7:04 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

• As long as she does what she is told, I don't do anything. If she doesn't, I get up and go with her to do as she was told. If she is just being a booger I send her to her room when she is done. She can come out when she is better. If she is having a total meltdown because she is hungry or tired, I help her do what I told her to do then I cuddle and love her until she is asleep or feeling better. (Or I feed her if she is hungry)
    kemclaughlin

Answer by kemclaughlin at 7:18 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

• I either make her do it, or I put her in a short time out :)
    SpiritedTigress

Answer by SpiritedTigress at 8:23 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

• time out. well i give a warning first "you will have a time out" and if she is still being naughty then its 1 minute in her crib.
    i try not to drown her with rules and discipline, only if i KNOW she knows that she is doing something wrong...
    BambiF

Answer by BambiF at 9:40 AM on Jul. 22, 2010

• Usually when my son tells me "No", he is being a grump. Such as he throws something of mine, I tell him to pick it up, and he says "No!!" So I put him on the couch and tell him NOT to get up, and once he stops being a grump, I tell him what to do and he does it. When he's grumpy, he's VERY stubern, and when he's back to normal, he will do what I ask. lol
    freakxxshow27

Answer by freakxxshow27 at 10:21 AM on Jul. 25, 2010