What do braxton hix contractions feel like?

I'm having all kinds of weird sensations but the only answer my doctor will give me is, " You'll know if your in labor".

karina400

Asked by karina400 at 6:52 PM on Jul. 21, 2010 in Pregnancy

• They hurt, but not that bad. They are infrequent (sp) and uncomfortable. Sometimes not drinking enough water will make you have them or not going pee if you have a full blader. Walking to much or spiecy food can make you have them too.
    elly25

Answer by elly25 at 6:54 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

• similar to real contraction pains..but you need to time them to know if it's the real thing or not. I believe braxton hicks stay consistent where as the real thing gets stronger and lasts longer.
    geminisummerz

Answer by geminisummerz at 6:55 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

• They don't hurt me, but they can be slightly uncomfortable (like a tightening dull muscle contraction). Your stomach will be really hard when you're having one. Your doctor is right though...Braxton Hicks have nothing on active labor contractions. You will feel a distinct difference. Trust your instincts!
    Erin814

Answer by Erin814 at 6:57 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

• Braxton Hicks contractions were not that painful for me. They were uncomfortable and my stomach got rock hard when they came, but that's about it. BH contractions are NOT consistent - meaning, they can come every 5 min apart, then 10 min, then 5 min, etc. Unlike real contractions which will get closer together and stronger and longer. Make sure you stay hydrated and if after drinking lots of water and laying on your side for an hour, if you are experiencing the sensations more often than 5 an hour, call your OB.
    patsfan013

Answer by patsfan013 at 7:00 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

• Depends on the person. For some it may feel exactly like the real things, and for others they may barely feel a thing.
    KMAsMommy9182

Answer by KMAsMommy9182 at 7:15 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

• I felt a 'tightening' of my abdomen. It wasn't painful for me, just uncomfortable and different.
    CaitsMom408

Answer by CaitsMom408 at 9:10 PM on Jul. 21, 2010