Eight weeks pregnant can't stop drinking pop!

Ehhh! I shouldent be drinking it but I love Mountin Dew!
How bad is this for my baby and should I stop now, and what are the long term effects of drinking pop in my pregnancy

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:58 PM on Jul. 21, 2010 in Pregnancy

• Ok, looking online I see that there IS caffeine in mountain dew but that there is also a caffeine free mountain dew. So why not switch to the caffeine free stuff?

As for all of the bashers...did you do everything perfectly when you were pregnant? Did you only eat super healthy foods? Not a drop of caffeine, not a pinch of salt, no refined sugar? Were you 100% perfect? No, so quit being rude about it.
    We're here to offer advice and support, not to cut each other down.

Laila-May

Answer by Laila-May at 7:09 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

• You need to just stop. I stopped with all 5 of my pregnancies. It's just one of those sacrifices you have to be willing to make. Caffeine is a drug that is not safe during pregnancy.
    Erin814

Answer by Erin814 at 6:59 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

• Caffeine isn't good for a baby if you drink too much of it. One cup of caffeine is all you should have when you are pregnant. So try to drink caffeine free things (even soda).
    elly25

Answer by elly25 at 7:02 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

• Oh my god! Would you give your baby caffine? And he or she isn't even formed yet. Stop now! You need to be drinking water. It doesn't taste good at first but like anything else, your taste buds will adjust and you will actually enjoy it eventually. It will also help you not gain as much weight and keep your feet from swelling as much later. Caffine can cause miscariage early in pregnancy and if your baby does survive he will probably have attention deficit disorder. If you can't stop being unhealthy for your baby, you should probably not be having a baby yet.
    karina400

Answer by karina400 at 7:03 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

• Is there even caffeine in mountain dew? I don't think there is.

I would be more worried about the sugar. Don't switch to diet unless it's made with splenda instead of aspartame.
    Try cutting back or replacing it with something else if you can.
    Laila-May

Answer by Laila-May at 7:05 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

• There are numerous risks involved with drinking too much caffeine while pregnant. Why risk it?
    sherribeare

Answer by sherribeare at 7:05 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

• i don't know, i drank five gallons of tea a week during all three of mine. coffee is just the same. just like eating chocolate. if your worried then start cutting back slowly don't quite cold turkey, you'll hurt the baby more then if you hadn't stopped. don't fret about it or that makes it worse.
    noel1978

Answer by noel1978 at 7:07 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

• Quit stressing out. Sure you don't want to be pounding them back all day but one mountain dew on occasion isn't going to make your baby retarded.
    Firefli

Answer by Firefli at 7:10 PM on Jul. 21, 2010