What's the best way to keep hamburger patties together on the grill?

YOu know, how do you keep the patties from falling apart on the grill?

GinNTonic

Asked by GinNTonic at 7:09 PM on Jul. 21, 2010 in Food & Drink

• You could try adding an egg to the hamburger meat before you put it on the grill. It also might help to use meat with a higher percentage of fat.
    kemclaughlin

Answer by kemclaughlin at 7:10 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

• If they're home made then yes, add an egg and some bread crumbs when you're mixing in the seasonings and everything. It'll keep it all together.
    Laila-May

Answer by Laila-May at 7:17 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

• Stick the patties in the freezer for 45 minutes before you cook them. it'll help the middle hold together until the outside is cooked enough to hold them together.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 7:18 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

• hubby thinks you might be flipping em to early. i ask him cuz i knew he would have an answer.
    noel1978

Answer by noel1978 at 7:19 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

• Only flip them one time. Touch the meat as little as possible when forming. Do not mash the patties with a spatula either. I put mine on for 6 mins per side.
    texasgurl33

Answer by texasgurl33 at 7:31 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

• Flip them once. I make sure the edges of each patty doesn't "crack" and that they are formed well before grilling. I season with a little garlic salt and fresh pepper. Make sure the heat is good, about medium or a little lower. Only turn them once, don't move them (except for gently peeking at the bottom by lifting slightly). Let them get a good crust on that side before you flip. The salt on the surface of the meat will help with that. Don't squeeze the juices out as it cooks that can cause dryness.
    NikkiMomof2grls

Answer by NikkiMomof2grls at 7:47 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

• Hmm. I've never had a problem with that. On the rare occasion we buy pre-formed burger patties, we throw them on frozen. When I make my own, I usually form the patties and slightly re-freeze them. Even if I put them straight on I've never had a problem with them falling apart. DH is gentle with them when he cooks them too though.
    4time-mom

Answer by 4time-mom at 12:01 AM on Jul. 22, 2010

• A screaming hot grill and stop playing with them. Don't smoosh them down, don't move them - just flip once.
    deadheadjen

Answer by deadheadjen at 9:05 AM on Jul. 22, 2010

• When you make them, it helps to use a patty press. It makes them uniform in shape and compressed. Using leaner meat will require the addition of something more to make them juicey. I usually had Worcestershire sauce. I agree with all the comments above about not playing with them on the grill. Make sure it is smokin hot and oiled so that they don't stick.
    WoodWitch

Answer by WoodWitch at 12:14 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• I'm gonna be making ranch burgers and hawaiian burgers. The ranch burgers has cheese and ranch dressing mix in it and the Hawaiian burgers will have Hawaiian barbecue sauce in it. I usually have a harder time with keeping the Hawaiian burgers together because of all the moisture.

Thanks for the tips guys!
    GinNTonic

Comment by GinNTonic (original poster) at 1:33 PM on Jul. 22, 2010