At what age did your child(ren) go to a speech therapist?

My daughter's 3 and I want to send her. I can understand 90% of what she says. The rest I either look at what she's doing and make a quess or ask her to show me what she wants. "Really baby" works during conversations. She's having problems with t,s,th,c, h, d, f and probably a few others. Is 3 too young?? I don't want to wait too long and then it's too late.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:28 PM on Jul. 21, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• 1-3 years is the best for learning.so id get her 3 isnt to early my lil girl 1 (20 months)and has been seeing a speech person since she was 16 months due to no words.
    photogrypher

Answer by photogrypher at 7:31 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

• My son went to a therapist at age 2 1/2, so it really just depends on you, I guess. You can call and request an evaluation. They will then tell you whether or not she needs therapy now or later. Good luck!
    NightPhoenix

Answer by NightPhoenix at 7:32 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

• My daughter has been going since she was two. I would have her evaluated if you think there is something wrong. Keep in mind that some of those letters she will not have developed yet.
    kemclaughlin

Answer by kemclaughlin at 7:34 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

• I know of some 2 years olds that have gone and are going, so not it is not too early.
    QandA

Answer by QandA at 7:34 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

• My girl went at age 4 when she started K4 (pre-k)
    anabele

Answer by anabele at 7:37 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

• My son has been receiving speech since he was 17 mos old because he only said two words. Since your daughter is 3, contact your school district to have her evaluated. If she is found to have a significant delay, she may be eligible for services through the school at no cost to you.
    patsfan013

Answer by patsfan013 at 7:37 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

• My son has been in speech therapy since he was 20 months old, he's currently 32 months old.
    LovableNeurotic

Answer by LovableNeurotic at 7:40 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

• Both my 3 yo and 5 yo have been to a speech pathologist. My oldest started speech therapy when he was 19 months old. He wasn't speaking at all by that point and had failed his hearing test. After surgery at 19 months old he started speech through ECI. He continued on with speech when he aged out of ECI at 3 yo and went to the Early Childhood school. He spent 2 1/2 years there, all the while he received speech. He is now on his way to Kindergarten and before school let out he graduated from the speech program. Unless other speech issues crop up later on, he won't need to go back.

I had my middle son tested with the Early Childhood school for a speech impairment when he turned 3 in January. His speech impairment is considered severe. He has extreme dis-fluency (stuttering) among other things. Since school let out for the summer he has regressed quite a bit so it'll be interesting to see how the school year goes.

boizmom

Answer by boizmom at 7:42 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

• Talk with your pediatrition. My son started seeing one when he was 6 (he has auspergers) but it's not something you have to do. If your daughter is talking and most people can understand her, she should be ok. Just check with Dr. if you need reasurrance. Some insurances won't cover it without a dr recommendation anways.
    Cassarah

Answer by Cassarah at 7:43 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

• My son was diagnosed with autism at age 3, and has been going to a speech therapist since. We had it written in his IEP for him go during the school year,and for a month after school ends. Good luck!
    Robsmommy

Answer by Robsmommy at 7:45 PM on Jul. 21, 2010