How to nurse at home and not at work?

I have to go back to work in a few weeks and I still want to nurse while I'm at home but I can pump while I'm at work. How do I go about getting my breast used to only producing enough milk for the time when I'm at home? I nursed my 2-year old for 6 months but I was a stay at home mom then. I would like to give my son the same time but I know that I have to go back to work.

Liz2002

Asked by Liz2002 at 7:34 PM on Jul. 21, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• You can do a couple things, you can hand express on breaks at work (I was actually better at hand expressing). You could put it into the milk storage bags and put those in a brown paper bag in your work's refridgerator. Even if you don't express enough to feed your child while you're gone it will help keep your supply up so that on your days off you won't have to suppliment. Plus then your baby will have at least one bottle of breastmilk while you're away, or you'll have some for your SO to feed your baby when you need a moment to yourself. Hand expressing at work doesn't take very long, I honestly did it while I was going potty (tmi I know) but you're just expressing enough to keep your supply up and relieve the engorgment. You can also just not do anything and your breasts will adjust on their own. Your LO will probably want to nurse most of the night, if you can, I would let her/him.
    Cassarah

Answer by Cassarah at 7:39 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

• Do you mean you can't pump at work? If so that is illegal in most states for the employer NOT to provide you somewhere to pump on your legally obligated breaks. If that is just not going to happen then you can hand express a little during your breaks to relief the pressure and your body will adjust fine. I only pumped for 11 months and she started refusing the bottles at home so I quit pumping and didn't have to express or anything and on the weekends I still could keep up with her just fine (she nursed until 35 months old BTW).
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 8:01 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

• Just nurse when home, pump at work once for every three hours away. Nothing else you need to do. Milk is made WHILE nursing...when the body is stimulated it produces. No need to worry on this.

Answer by gdiamante at 8:56 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

• maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 9:43 PM on Jul. 21, 2010