I have a problem ...... I have a 6 and 4 year old that are stealing and lying.

The 6 year old is stealing food and then lying about it, also getting her younger sister to steal for her as well. What can I do to stop this? I have tried everything and am coming up with nothing that is working. I'm about at my wits end and ready for a break down! Please help I need suggestions about anything that I can try!

Divagod

Asked by Divagod at 7:50 PM on Jul. 21, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• What do you mean stealing food? Like from a store or out of your kitchen?
    Iluvmy5

Answer by Iluvmy5 at 7:56 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

• Why would she steal food unless she was hungry? And if she's hungry why aren't you feeding her?!
    CokietheClown

Answer by CokietheClown at 7:56 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

• Is she sneaking into the kitchen after meals and snacks and sneaking goodies? You've gotta set the ground rules. When it's meal time that's when you eat. When it's an approved snack time, that's when you eat. We had to put a lock on the pantry because my 5 yo would go and sneak fruit snacks when he knew he wasn't allowed to have any. He'd go through a box of fruit snacks in a day or so and then I'd find the wrappers all over his bedroom stuffed in the toy box, under his mattress, etc. To solve that I just put a lock on the pantry. When it's meal time or snack time I take it off, but there's no reason he should be getting fruit snacks at 9 in the morning when he just finished breakfast. I don't deprive my kids of food, they know they are more then welcome to have seconds if they want and they get two healthy snacks a day on top of meals. My son just LOVES fruit snacks, he's not starving.

boizmom

Answer by boizmom at 8:05 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

• I DO FEED MY KIDS!!! They get 3 meals a day and 2 snacks, but it's candy and junk that she is stealing. They are allowed 1 treat a day and that is it. I want my kids to be healthy. At meal times they are allowed to eat until they are full, I don't want them to leave the table hungry.
    Divagod

Comment by Divagod (original poster) at 10:00 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

• I put all of that on in a bowl on top of the refrigerator and only make them available as a reward for good behavior. Just make it clear that those things are not to be eaten without permission and keep snacks that are healthy where they can reach them and tell them they have to ask first! Good luck!
    khedy

Answer by khedy at 11:37 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

• Well, maybe if you don't want to buy a lock or not have a lock for the pantry get a filing cabinet and stick the snacks in there so they can't get at them that way you can lock it and it's out of site out of mind so to speak as far as the lying and stealing it's something you'll have to get under control or it will get much worst. Everytime they do steal something and you catch them take away a priviledge make them earn it back. Start with the thing they love the most if it's TV take that make them sit by you and if worst comes to worst stop buying the snacks and go for fruit.
    Moms_Angels1960

Answer by Moms_Angels1960 at 8:27 AM on Jul. 22, 2010