what does the 3 hr Gestational diabetes test entail?

Precious333

Asked by Precious333 at 8:20 PM on Jul. 21, 2010 in Pregnancy

• You fast over night, and hopefully do your test in the morning. Then, you go in, drink a horribly sweet and bubbly drink. They draw your blood a few times over a three hour period. Then, you go get something to eat because you're pregnant and starving. Bring something to do. It's totally boring.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 8:24 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

• You fast for 12 hours, then go in and they draw your blood, then they give you a sugary drink... it is really sweet! Then you go out into the waiting room and wait for an hour. They call you back and do another blood draw. Then an hour later and an hour after that they do the same. Finally you get to go home. Bring a friend or a good book to pass the time. Also you are not allowed to eat or drink during the test period.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 8:24 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

• I would bring some kind of food to eat directly afterward. You WILL be starving and might be weak.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 8:25 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

• if i remember correctly, they told me not to eat anything before my opt. they checked my blood sugar before, i drank some nasty carbonated orange soda type thing (that was really gross), i waited like 2 hrs then they checked my blood sugar again. mine was normal so i dont know if they do anything else if it's not.
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 8:25 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

• fasting
    then you get a finger prick
    drink this nasty drink
    every hour get another finger prick

it tests how well your body handles the glucose drink over the 3 hours.
    DarkFaery131

Answer by DarkFaery131 at 8:26 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

• i agree with these ladies, bring something to do. it is very boring!
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 8:27 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

• I had a full blood draw each of the four times. Dang is the finger stick an option? Plus I had a new phlebotomist and she kept missing my vein, so I got stuck like 10 times D:
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 8:30 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

• they starve u for 12 hours!! i so didnt do that i made it 8 hours then about passed out and ate something small. then drink a really bad drink! eww almost threw up! then the stupid nurse (tries) to draw ur blood once every hour, i have small veins i was bruised for weeks!! then after almost passing out again cuz im SO STARVING, i hit the mc d's across the street and inhale a big mac! the nurse was mad at me cuz i ate something before my test but it didnt effect my test! goog luck bring something to do SUPER boring!
    Caroline2010

Answer by Caroline2010 at 8:50 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

• You fast overnight for 12 hours. The only thing you can drink is water. They test your fasting blood sugar level. Then you drink an icky sugary glucola drink. An hour later they draw your blood, and again in another hour, and again in another hour. Total of 4 blood draws. Then you have to eat. They made me eat right there so they knew i wasnt going to pass out..lol..Oh, and it made me nauseous. And if you vomit, you have to start over again..If you have any other questions about that or gestational diabetes feel free to message me. I was diagnosed with it at 16 weeks..(they tested me early due to family history).
    carsonsmommytam

Answer by carsonsmommytam at 10:50 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

• Is it a different drink from the one hour test?
    Precious333

Comment by Precious333 (original poster) at 10:54 PM on Jul. 21, 2010