7 month old picky eater?

My daughter is 7 months old and we have been progressively adding food over the last 2-3 months, starting with cereals and simple level 1 foods. We have started to move into some level 2's and even level 3s. I am finding that she is very particular about what she will eat (only sweet potatoes, bananas, and carrots usually with a few other sometimes foods). anything else we introduce she "buzzes" out all over the kitchen. I find myself stopping to try new foods because I get frustrated. Have I done something to create a picky eater or is this a phase? Should I keep trying to introduce new foods/blends or stick to what she likes? This new mom thanks you for any help you can give!!

muptgirl23

Asked by muptgirl23 at 8:23 PM on Jul. 21, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I THIN YOU SHOULD MIX THE FOODS SHE LIKES WITH THE FOOD SHE DOESNT LIKE AND SEE HOW SHE LIKES IT.....EVERY KID GOES THROUGH THAT PHASE
    Soon2bemom16

Answer by Soon2bemom16 at 8:24 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

• Thanks- I have tried that some. Usually when she tastes one she doesn't like, even mixed together, she'll spit it out. But perhaps I need to try and "hide" it a little better :)
    muptgirl23

Comment by muptgirl23 (original poster) at 8:26 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

• Introduce news things every so often and keep up with what she likes. Don't introduce too many new things all at once. Take it slow and it will work out. When she's eating table food make sure to offer her a variety and let her pick and choose. GL
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 8:29 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

• try all kinds of things. make some of your own to feed to her too. it's normal, some kids are picky and some arent, but offer a variety and mix things.
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 8:31 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

• It can take a minimum of 10-20 introductions of a new food for it to be accepted. Sometimes it is the new taste. It could be the texture, or a combination of the two.

Have you tried to introduce a mixture that is pureed instead of chunkier? That may be the key in getting her to accept it.

Our personal philosophy on picky eaters is to not push them hard, but to have the "offensive" food visible and enjoyed by everyone else. We have done this with our kids since the first was born 12 yrs ago. They wouldn't touch certain foods, but we didn't push or completely give in. Now they have amazing palettes. If given a choice for a special dinner out, they will choose Ethiopian, Japanese or Indian over Italian or burgers any day of the week.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 8:33 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

• Keep offering the new foods, she has to get used to new tastes and textures and it can take a lot of tries. You could even try skipping the jarred foods and try mashing up table food. My son loved eating real mashed potatoes, carrots, peas, etc. You can add a little milk or formula to the foods to thin them out. You can also put the fresh veggies and fruits in a blender and puree them to the desired consistency.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:17 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

• Babies have to try new foods at least 10 times to get a genuine like or dislike. Keep trying new foods. You may also want to consider making your own baby food. It tastes better, it is fresher, more nutritious and a lot cheaper. Check out www.wholesomebabyfood.com
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 10:39 PM on Jul. 21, 2010