I have allergies, I mean I'm allergic to almost everything, lol. However I like going into bath and body works, which does a number on my sinuses. Anyway a friend of mine told me to carry coffee beans and when my allergies to scents act up just take a couple of sniffs of the beans. So before I do this and look like an idiot, I was wondering if anyone else had ever heard of this?

Allergies and coffee beans

smarker72

Asked by smarker72 at 8:33 PM on Jul. 21, 2010 in Health

• yes, in places that sell perfumes they have a dish of coffee grounds that they have you take a wiff of to get the prior scent out of your nose. Never heard of it used for allergies though.
    worriedmommy600

Answer by worriedmommy600 at 8:36 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

• coffee beans cleanse the sinuses and enable you to smell the differences in perfumes. However, they have NO effect on allergens, which cause the mucus membranes to erupt and overact.

What you could do is take a benadryl or a claritin two hours before shopping.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 8:36 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

• Sniffing coffee beans clears the scent out of your nose so that you can smell something else - like if you were going to try out a few fragrances, you would sniff the beans in-between smelling each fragrance. It only works for a few scents, too. After that, it is ineffective. But I honestly don't know how that would work for entering a whole store of fragrance, such as B&BW, because you would have to keep sniffing them the whole time you were there to keep everything else out.

beckie66

Answer by beckie66 at 8:38 PM on Jul. 21, 2010