How long did it take for your LO to get used to daycare?

My DD is having a hard time. She has one or two good days a week, then the rest she is crying the whole time. They even had to put her in a chair facing away from the door because she would cry whenever someone opened the door.

The daycare is awesome, lot's of teachers and kids. I don't want to be worried sick while I'm away though. How long did it last for your LO's?

ArmyGal

Asked by ArmyGal at 8:43 PM on Jul. 21, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I'll let you know when I start taking her. She is 20 months andshe will more than likely be going when she is 24 months around there. My sister in law babysits for me, but since I'm having my 2nd daughter in October it's going to be too much for my sister in law to babysit both my daughter andnewborn plus her daughter who will be 1 by then. Plus I want my daughter to be around other kids and learn things, nothing against my sister in law but she doesn't teach her anything not that she has to either. But my daughter has always been with her since she was 4 monthsold she has been our babysitter since then. She hides when people she doesn't know try and talk to her and if we go somewhere and I start to walk away she starts crying. So I hope your daughter starts adjusting soon good luck.

cynprz

Answer by cynprz at 11:52 AM on Jul. 22, 2010

• Well I wish I could help you on that one. My little one doesn't go to daycare but my friend's does and her little girl loved it when she went.
    Greeneyes1

Answer by Greeneyes1 at 8:51 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

• My son used to cry his head off at the first daycare and I thought that he would eventually adjust...but when it didn't happen I took him with me to visit new daycares and we found one that I loved and when he went in he didn't cry and never did.
    MommyH2

Answer by MommyH2 at 8:51 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

• 2-3 weeks, and cry at drop off and then went on and played
    QandA

Answer by QandA at 8:54 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

• It just depends on how old your DD is I think, and also how many people she is used to being around every day. If she's an older baby (since you posted in the toddler group) she might have a harder time. My son is 16 months now and has been going to day care since he was about 5 months old. He never had a hard time with it - since he was so small when he started, he just doesn't know any different. One of my work friends took his toddler (almost 2 yrs) to daycare for the first time and it took him about 2 or 3 weeks to stop crying every day. It'll get better!
    crystalbean2

Answer by crystalbean2 at 9:19 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

• My DD is 2 and she's just used to being around my family. This is week three so I'm worried.
    ArmyGal

Comment by ArmyGal (original poster) at 9:41 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

• Oh cynprz I'm right there with you. My DD hides when people she doesn't know talk to her. She did that with my sister because I only see her maybe twice a month so my DD would hide under a table. But I'm noticing a change in my DD since attending. She's alot more outspoken and plays well with new people/children WITH me there, still not in daycare yet. No crying today though so that's a plus. Good luck to you and come back to comment when you do start:)
    ArmyGal

Comment by ArmyGal (original poster) at 3:38 PM on Jul. 22, 2010