How can I get my 9 month old to sleep?

We have a routine for a son that we have not changed. For the past week he has not been sleeping very much. He wakes up just as tired as when we put him down for a nap. He doesn't last as long in the morning. Any possible causes?

so1986

Asked by so1986 at 8:46 PM on Jul. 21, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Is he doing baby food? If so rice cereal or oatmeal cereal will help him sleep. It worked with my daughter.
    Greeneyes1

Answer by Greeneyes1 at 8:49 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

• he's 9 months, probly ready for a routine change. at 9 months, both my kids changed their nap schedules from 2 a day to 1 long 4 hour nap a day. just try a new routine out, let him lead you into it. GL
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 8:49 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

• I think she is also right I forgot that my daughter changed her schedule around that time.
    Greeneyes1

Answer by Greeneyes1 at 8:52 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

• Nothing YOU do will make him sleep...he needs to need to sleep. It's common for them to change routines and doesn't mean anything is wrong. Stick to your routine, and follow his lead.

Been there done that with cereal...doesn't work. Unless the baby NEEDS to sleep!

Answer by gdiamante at 8:55 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

• Sometimes the temperature of a room or a new sound will be enough to keep a baby from sleeping.Maybe you need to change your routine in order to get him to sleep better. some soothing music will help or if it's hot in his room a fan. Maybe a warm bath before bed will make him more sleepy. You need to try different things.
    CafeMochaMom1

Answer by CafeMochaMom1 at 9:02 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

• Make sure that the baby has a set routine. I know many might not agree but a child needs routine especially at nap and bedtime
    ezziriah

Answer by ezziriah at 9:37 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

• He might be cutting teeth try giving him some infant tylonel and if you can baby oragel and see if that helps if not i would call the doctor to see if there is anything else you can do also try a wet washcloth in the freezer for a little bit and then giving it to him and let him chew on it the coldness will help his gums.
    mommy2b924

Answer by mommy2b924 at 12:12 AM on Jul. 22, 2010