Would you rather lose your job or have to fire a co-worker who is really a nice person and supports his disabled wife and children?

twilite2000

Asked by twilite2000 at 8:55 PM on Jul. 21, 2010 in

• i would rather lose my job since my husband works too and i could afford to look for another job
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 8:55 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

• Fire him because I have kids too
    mamaofficer

Answer by mamaofficer at 8:56 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

• Yeah, I would rather lose my job...hubby supports his family anyway. :)
    geminisummerz

Answer by geminisummerz at 8:56 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

• Fire the coworker
    QandA

Answer by QandA at 8:56 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

• Fire him! I've never been one to shy away from this stuff... If he needs fired, I'll do it.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 8:56 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

• I have otherly abled family to take care of too. If it's my choice, I keep my job.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 8:57 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

• It would depend on our situation at the time. I'd say the firing, because people with disabilities can get a lot more help then we could
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 8:58 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

• You gave too black and white of a description. Does the coworker suck at their job? Are they late? Do they screw around? And is it my family, or "a" family? I have a 5 year old with autism, and my other two are suspected of it. For my oldest's therapy, it is 5,000 a month. If I had to quit and loose my insurance with the possiblility of not being able to get them good insurance fast, I may fire them. The wife can get benifits for being disabled. I have kids too. Yep, it sounds heartless when is put like that. But you need more background to make a read desision. It is not, for me, a matter of "I would take the bullet for them" but "could my KIDS take that same bullet?" No, they couldnt.
    silks_bunny

Answer by silks_bunny at 9:04 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

• I would rather loose my job, bumped ya!

Answer by older at 9:06 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

• Depends on why I am firing the person. When you say Fire some one, it applies there is a reason. Such as they were stealing or some other grievance against the company. If you mean lay off, well then they would get unemployment. If I am the one deciding if a person is getting fired, then unfortunately, that person is an underling and I am their boss and probably wouldn't be able to take my position. Also me quitting or leaving the job wouldn't have an effect on if the person was fired or not. Now if I was told that one of two people were to be let go, either this nice guy or me, it would also depend on my situation and its something I would need to discuss with hubby. I would need to know would my family be able to survive with me leaving my job with no prospects of unemployment.
    kuriequinn

Answer by kuriequinn at 9:47 PM on Jul. 21, 2010