Why don't you co-sleep?

I want to know what your reasons are for not wanting to co-sleep, or why you are not planning on doing it. This is for research purposes.

Asked by sapient at 10:57 PM on Jun. 28, 2008 in General Parenting

• All three of us toss and turn and keep each other awake and cranky. We've tried it multiple times, I always end up with her foot in my rib at least 3 times at night. Once she actually rolled off the bed. When she's older we'll start taking naps together again.

Answer by jellyphish at 11:24 PM on Jul. 13, 2008

• Because it is dangerous.

• Anon - can you be more specific? Where did you hear this?

Answer by sapient at 11:40 PM on Jun. 28, 2008

• My daugher and I co-slept when we lived with my mom, simply because there wasn't any space to do anything else. It was comforting that I knew she was right next to me, safe. When we moved into our own house, I had her sleep in her crib, mainly because my boyfriend and I didn't want to have to wean her out of co-sleeping.

Answer by cleverusername at 11:45 PM on Jun. 28, 2008

• 1. We have a full size bed. There's not enough room for the two of us, let alone three of us.

2. I tend to kick and thrash around in my sleep. I'd be afraid of injuring my preemie daughter.

3. A friend of my brother's recently killed his newborn by rolling over on him while co-sleeping.

4. I used to nanny two little girls who co-slept with their parents, or should I say parent. Dad slept on a couch in the basement because the girls took over his bed. They were four and six when I left. They refused to sleep in their own beds. They would scream when they woke up and mom wasn't in bed with them. How is this showing your kids how to be independent?

Co-sleep all you want. It's just not for me. The closest I got was having the bassinet next to the bed.

Answer by lovinmystar at 11:47 PM on Jun. 28, 2008

• I stopped co-sleeping b/c my son crawled over me and fell off the bed. I didn't want that to ever happen again, so he went to his crib. That and I snore like a freaking bear and it would wake him up.

Answer by Jessimica at 12:00 AM on Jun. 29, 2008

• I have punched my hubby in the middle of dreaming before and b/c my daughter rolls around all night.

Answer by momoflilangel at 12:42 AM on Jun. 29, 2008

• When i go to bed it's me when i wake up they are creeping in or have already does impede on hubby & me sleep...& it's annoying...but sometimes i like it...confusing...yeah ..i know...but I prefer NOT to

Answer by GoldenWhite at 5:04 AM on Jun. 29, 2008

• here is why: i read this journal on " rogersmommy0306 "page and cried and cried and cried. My husband and I have done this a bunch of times and today in church I got to thinking about this journal and bawled in church and thanked GOd that our little girl is still with us! please go read it and pray for her and her husband/family

Answer by hendrickson at 2:50 PM on Jun. 29, 2008

• if you're lookng for a reason to not, my uncle rolled over on my cousin nad broke her collar bone when she was around a year old.

Answer by princezzmommie at 1:32 AM on Jun. 30, 2008