What would someone that believes in God(well a higher power), but, not the bible be called?

And how to get someone to understand that I can believe in one without the other?

BradenIsMySon

Asked by BradenIsMySon at 9:47 PM on Jul. 21, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• Tell them you are spiritual and have a personal relationship with God thats none of their damn business.
    LovableNeurotic

Answer by LovableNeurotic at 10:13 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

• Well, you could be Pagan, Agnostic, Gnostic... There are any number of options here...

I would simply say just that... I don't believe in the bible, but I believe in God.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 9:52 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

• You are free to choose.

But you are also educated enough to type, so to read the bible will tell you what God the father's real name is.
    It's Jehovah. He is mentioned in Psalms, and a bunch of times in Ezekiel, and when he talked to Moses. He is also the God of Abraham, Isaak and Jacob, and is Father of Jesus. He is the One true God of Jesus, whom has only one father, ........ We are blessed more than sands with sisters and brothers. And his creation is from before time to time infinate.
    coffeeyum

Answer by coffeeyum at 9:51 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

• I don't' believe in the Bible (written by man and therefore it is NOT infallible) but I have a firm belief in God. I hate labels but since it's a question that usually comes up, I tell them that I am an Eclectic Spiritual Pagan.

Those that tell you that you can't believe in God without believing in the Bible are just ignorant. They have been blinded by religion. I wouldn't pay them much attention b/c nothing you say will make them understand.

SpiritedWitch

Answer by SpiritedWitch at 10:09 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

• I think the term would be theist.
    Iamgr8teful

Answer by Iamgr8teful at 11:48 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

• Some seem to think that the Bible and belief in God are one and the same... however there are any number of other beliefs who embrace belief in God (or gods/goddesses) without belief in the Bible. I wouldn't call you anything in particular because there are just so many beliefs that fit this description out there... I would just say it's none of their business!
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 11:50 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

• Simple answer you can't. They are to jaded by what they believe fact to believe any thing that may make a little more sense. I agree with you I believe in God, but not the bible entirely I know there were things left out and I have studied it, I also know there was a lot added in to appease mans goals and ideas. To instill fear and hate.
    hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 12:08 AM on Jul. 22, 2010

• Sounds like being a Deist. Not sure if it will completely fit you but might be worth looking into.
    As to getting them to understand, in some cases you cannot cause them to change they way they view the world. They have to do it on their own. Just be consistent in your beliefs and openly answer questions if you are wanting to help sway opinions.

isabellalecour

Answer by isabellalecour at 10:05 AM on Jul. 22, 2010

• Simplest term is Deist.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 4:01 PM on Jul. 26, 2010

• @Coffeeyum: I don't buy into the bible because too much was left out. Too many cooks had their hand in the stew and so many other reasons.

@Sabrina: I tried that and got the "You can't believe in God and not the Bible" speech. LOL
    BradenIsMySon

Comment by BradenIsMySon (original poster) at 9:55 PM on Jul. 21, 2010