I'm really struggling with 18 mo. old high fat diet. Its just so wrong.

My son only gained 6oz. in 3 months and the Dr. wants him to be on a high fat/high Calorie diet. He has been thin since birth and had been under the curve, now she wants me to implement a diet.
I am really struggling with it because I have been overweight allll my life. It is horrible and so hard to break my bad eating habits. And here my son is healthy, and has great eating habits and now I have to push fatty foods on him. It just feels wrong.
I refuse to give him chocolate still, icecream is very rare special occasions, AND ABSOLUTELY NO BUTTER. I have a horrible butter habit and I think its great he doesnt need butter to enjoy veggies and such. I do not want him to get used to the taste.
After he is a steady high weight I want to take the high fats out of his diet again, so what can I add that won't give me a guilty conscience and I can take away later without him noticing?

sassy_brizzy

Asked by sassy_brizzy at 9:47 PM on Jul. 21, 2010 in Kids' Health

• Avocado, tofu, coconut oil, flax oil, ground flax seeds, sunflower see butter, are all ingredients you can safely give your baby. Avocado and coconut oil are great in puddings; flax oil and ground flax seeds can be mixed in with lots of foods.
    Send me a message offlist if you would like recipe ideas.

And please stay away from high sugar items like pediasure and instant breakfast.

Answer by rkoloms at 11:17 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

• There are high fat, healthy foods you can give him without it being sweets. Avocados, peanut butter, whole milk, cheeses, full fat yogurts. Stay away from the sweetened dessert foods and stick to more "natural" fats.
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 10:08 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

• You may not like to hear this but it sounds like you are projecting your food issues onto your son. Be careful as that's a slippery slope and children can and do pick up on those things from their parents. Children (especially young toddlers like your son) have different nutritional needs than adults.

There are plenty of healthy high fat options out there and if you're confused on what those might be I suggest that you ask his pediatrician for suggestions on how to keep his diet healthy while getting his weight up.
    deadheadjen

Answer by deadheadjen at 9:51 AM on Jul. 22, 2010

• You are his mother, ultimately YOU know what is best for him.
    HUGS
    txdaniella

Answer by txdaniella at 10:00 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

• Do they have vanilla carnation? I drink the chocolate and I love it, but i dont want him to drink the chocolate. Strawberry is fine....
    I got the pediasure and it gave him the runs. He does fine with normal milk but imitation and lactaid upsets his stomach for some reason.
    sassy_brizzy

Comment by sassy_brizzy (original poster) at 9:56 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

• There are plenty of foods you can offer him like ice cream, cereal with milk, cheeses, macaroni and cheese, pizza, etc. All these have some fat to them and the milk and cheeses are good for a developing child. He may even like some of these foods. You can give him a chocolate bar every now and then and it really won't hurt him. Dark chocolate is actually good for a person.
    CafeMochaMom1

Answer by CafeMochaMom1 at 9:59 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

• They told me to do things like mix in wheat germ and powdered miilk

They also told me to butter everything, nope, not doing.He was 2.5 yrs old, and 18 lbs. he is 5 now and 34 lbs. But he is very healthy and active.

mommaoftwo

Answer by mommaoftwo at 10:36 AM on Jul. 22, 2010

• let me get this straight: your child's doctor prescribed a high-fat diet for your one and a half year old son?! as in junk food and empty calories? while i'm sure the doctor means well, i am fairly certain a diet consisting of deep-fried twinkies and Happy Meals might not offer the proper vitamins and minerals your child is getting through his natural preferences for healthy foods. this pediatrician sounds like a quack! some kids metabolize at an extremely high rate. this is actually the norm in my family, where two out of three kids is considered 'underweight' by various doctors. we outgrow it by the time we reach sixteen or so. then we just appear to be rather slim until our thirties when we gain weight and no longer have to shop in the children's department for clothing that fits. (i was a size teen's 14 to adult's zero until i was thirty-two.).
    ruejacobs

Answer by ruejacobs at 11:50 AM on Jul. 22, 2010

• (continued)
    if you're terribly concerned about your child's thinness, dose him with some flintstones chewables and some carnation instant breakfasts. that way you can be reasonably certain that he is getting all the HEALTHY calories his body needs. it worked (and still works) for my family!
    ruejacobs

Answer by ruejacobs at 11:52 AM on Jul. 22, 2010

• Thank you all for your advice!
    sassy_brizzy

Comment by sassy_brizzy (original poster) at 3:54 PM on Jul. 24, 2010