if you own a mobile home...

SO and I rent a mobile home. We love our landlords. They offered us a great deal to buy it and we are on 1.5 acres...really nice location and neighborhood and good schools for when my son is that age. SO and I are ready to start looking to buy, and at first werent really sure if we want this place to call "home". So far, homes we have seen in our price range are in terrible condition. Some are workable but arent up to code. SO told me today he might consider our mobile home a place to stay and buy. We wouldnt have to move or deal w/ a realtor, the fixer uppers arent as bad as the many we have seen from the houses we have seen...it's a bit old but we could renovate it. Plus it is below our budget so the mortgage would be very affordable, even cheaper than our rent. I'd love some pros/cons of owning a mobile home from your experience!

Owl_Feather

Asked by Owl_Feather at 9:47 PM on Jul. 21, 2010 in Home & Garden

• I used to live in one as a child, and rented one for a while as an adult.
    Pros: They're easy to keep clean
    Cons:
    They're not built well.
    They're a fire trap (my husband is a firefighter and he's said if there's a fire in a mobile home you can just about guarantee it'll be a total loss. Their construction allows fire to spread quickly to all areas of the home.)
    They depreciate in value, just like a car, no matter how many renovations you do. You don't build equity like you would in a house.
    They're small and crowded with very little storage area.
    They're harder to heat in winter (goes back to not being built well) and they're like an oven in summer unless you've got central air.
    Most banks will not give a long mortgage on a mobile home, especially an older one. You'd be lucky to get a 15 year mortgage on a new one. (I could be wrong in your case, but that's been my experience)
    michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 12:25 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• I own mine and love it. It is easy and nice. No complaints here.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 9:52 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

• We love ours. My only complaint is during severe storms/tornado warnings - not really the safest place to be. Other than that, it's a great home!

Some things to be aware of, depending on where in the country you live: Make sure that your heat tape is always working/that your pipes are properly covered - your pipes can and will freeze, and that is no fun. Also, make sure your skirting is secure.

Also, be prepared that when you go to replace things, that mobile homes are not the same size as regular homes. You need a new strainer for your kitchen sink? You may have to travel to several hardware stores to find one that fits. I replaced our shower curtain - the one that came with the home had 11 hooks. Yes, 11. I had to make a trip back out to buy a set of 12. Weird stuff like that.
    beckie66

Answer by beckie66 at 10:01 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

• heat tape??
    Owl_Feather

Comment by Owl_Feather (original poster) at 10:03 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

• TO ME ITS COLDER IN THE WINTER
    mamaofficer

Answer by mamaofficer at 12:39 AM on Jul. 22, 2010

• my landlords go through wellsfargo and as far as we know they are willing to work with any interested buyer. But we havent even established any agreement yet so I cant back that up. I am a bit worried about the fire hazard. But you know what? We looked at a few homes in person the other day and THEY were a definate fire hazard. Faulty exposed wiring for all to see, old windows painted shut and missing the handles which arent made anymore (according to SO) based on the age of them...this place seems safer lol but I will do some more research on this house. all mobile homes have this fire risk? no matter what age they are?
    Owl_Feather

Comment by Owl_Feather (original poster) at 3:21 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• I didn't say fire hazard, I said fire trap. In stick built homes, construction codes require fire stops between floors & between areas like the garage & the home. These stops slow a fire from spreading through the walls quickly. Building codes for mobile homes are better than they used to be but still not as good as codes for stick built homes. Hubby's even torn through a roof/wall in a double-wide mobile home & found 1 x 4 studs instead of 2 x 4. Essentially the mobile home is just a shell. Fire starts & can spread from one end to the other in minutes because it's open, cutting off escape for anyone that's inside & not immediately aware of fire.

NOT that a fire is going to happen, but that's one thing against them. Both hubby & I used to live in mobile homes as adults. We know the risks.
    michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 4:49 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• oh sorry for the confusion! yes i see what you mean. I dont know of any recent updated renovations of this place (to make it up to code in regards to stuff like better fire safety). Something to add to the list of questions for them!
    Owl_Feather

Comment by Owl_Feather (original poster) at 5:22 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• I'm glad that you've got a list of questions. So many people go into this sort of thing with their eyes wide shut. Sounds like you and SO are being smart about it! GL!
    michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 5:44 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• well we are getting smarter the more we look at homes! One house had one problem so we mark it down and see if there's a similar problem at the next house...
    Owl_Feather

Comment by Owl_Feather (original poster) at 5:50 PM on Jul. 22, 2010