Induction

Ok. i live an hour away from the hopsital where im giving birth. im 36 weeks now and last week the baby weighed 5 lbs. my doc recommended i let him induce me between 38 and 39 weeks since i live so far away. i have really mixed feelings. i want to be at the hospital when it happens, but i also dont want to push things. what do you guys think?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:47 PM on Jul. 21, 2010 in Pregnancy

• ohhh...I'd talk to him/her You don't want to induce unless its necessary but if you absolutely had to I'd do as as close to your due date as possible.
    babyangelromero

Answer by babyangelromero at 9:49 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

• An hour is not that far away. I lived 45 minutes from the Birth Center where my son was born and I didn't leave my house until I was in transition. I got there at 9cm, the midwife broke my water, and my son was born 30 minutes later.

Inductions is an elective, unnecessary procedure with risks.
    Erin814

Answer by Erin814 at 9:50 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

• I drove an hour and a half to my hospital when I went into labor at 40 weeks and 2 days. I had a 7 hour labor and no problems. I would suggest waiting it out and not inducing. I do not believe in convenience inducing though.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 9:50 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

• Just to be safe, I'd wait until I was 39 weeks to do the induction. Is this your first time giving birth? it usually takes quite a while, so in most cases you'd have plenty of time to get there... if it's not your first, then maybe I'd be more likely to go for the induction. Even still... I wouldn't do it before then.

Good luck, mama!
    cschwanger

Answer by cschwanger at 9:51 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

• Generally labor doesnt spontaneously happen so fast that you can't make an hour drive to the hospital before the baby pops out... You'll know you're in labor usually at least three hours before the baby is crowning, most first time moms take 12 hours to labor fully... Induction carries added risk to you and your unborn child and is absolutely unecessary unless there is a medical condition that puts the baby or mother at risk. If you still choose to be induced make sure you use the most natural approach possible and have him strip your membranes first, wait a few hours and walk around, then try cervidil or cytotec and avoid using pitocin unless it's absolutely necessary. Your body will naturally go into labor when it is time and inducing before you are 40 weeks can put your baby at risk for complications. (especially because they can't accurately determine when you concieved)
    momofkearra

Answer by momofkearra at 9:52 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

• Also...if it would make you feel better and you're in the position to do so, when you start labor, you could always go to a hotel near the hospital until you're ready to go in. Best wishes!
    Erin814

Answer by Erin814 at 9:59 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

• Whatever your decision I think it is important that you know that even if they hook you up to pitocin if your body is not ready then you will not have an easy time. They did this to my sil and after 14 hours and a lot of stress on the baby she had an emergency c-section. She regrets doing it. Her doc encouraged it and it being her first she was easily talked into it. There are MANY successful inductions, but the risks are there and if you opt to do it you should be told the what-ifs that a lot of docs leave out. Oh and they can't tell you 100% what your child weighs right now.
    sheena696

Answer by sheena696 at 10:00 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

• I was induced and felt like it was the right thing to do since my daughter was 1 1/2 weeks overdue but I agree, an hour isn't that far away. I like in a small town without a hospital that delivers babies. Everyone here has to drive at least 35-40 minutes to a hospital to deliver and I've never heard of it being a problem for anyone.
    Bears.Mommy

Answer by Bears.Mommy at 10:00 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

• I do not think that this is valid reasons for an induction. A 35 weeker weighing 5 pounds is perfectly normal.. An ultrasound is not an accurate way to determine weight though.. Something to keep in mind. An hour is not far away. Induction runs a higher rate of c sections, and induction can be very painful compared to natural labor. I was induced with my first child at 35 weeks due to medical issues, and he weighed 5 lb, 4 oz. I had my membranes stripped at 40 weeks, 3 days with my daughter and that helped me go into labor without the need for induction.. and the labor was SO much easier, and my recovery was SO much faster!
    xxlilmomma09

Answer by xxlilmomma09 at 10:14 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

• I've never heard of being induced unless you were past full term or there were some complications.
    I would not feel comfortable with that, you should work out something different with your doctor.
    Something that you feel better about.
    Rachel24517

Answer by Rachel24517 at 10:19 PM on Jul. 21, 2010