nursing 5 month old............to start or TRY rice cereal or not to try it?

my one week till five months old baby is exclusively breast fed and ABOVE average. She is already sitting up on her own no support and very active and alert. At night she just constantly needs to nurse to keep her tummy filled and I was wondering if a baby spoonful or two would do her good with sleeping through the night without needing to nurse?

she sleeps all night if she can wake up get her boobie for a few minutes then she goes right back to sleep.

lilbabybugs

Asked by lilbabybugs at 9:48 PM on Jul. 21, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• i would start giving her some cereal mixed with breast milk for dinner
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 9:50 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

• This might just be a good time to start cereal, it sounds like she is ready for it! She seems to be acting like she is at the stage for cereal!
    Truluv4ever

Answer by Truluv4ever at 9:52 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

• I started giving it to my baby at four months. The pediatrician said she was taking in too many bottles of formula so he recommended the cereal for just that reason.
    CafeMochaMom1

Answer by CafeMochaMom1 at 9:52 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

• normally i'd say no...with my dd i waited until she was about 10 months before she ate anything...but in your case, it's almost like me and my ds. (athough i probly would have made him wait as well if i had done my homework) but i guess a couple bites of cereal/oatmeal won't hurt. right now i'd say do it at dinner time, just a few baby spoonfuls, not too much. just please please please don't put it in her bottle!
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 9:56 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

• Yes I agree don't put it in her bottle, it sticks to the nipple and they don't get the rice to unblock. It's a health risk, and for feeding just do that extra one little safety step and deliver the spoon option for mouth feeding and not bottle feed, it's so good to let them get this though. It's a cool time to be slowly graduation to solids. Have a nice time mommy, you're the greatest!!
    coffeeyum

Answer by coffeeyum at 10:00 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

• Cereal in the bottle is a choking hazard!

Keep in ming tha solids fed to babies before they turn 1 are for the experience of eating them, not for nutrition (a subject most doctors know little about).Nutritionists recommend starting solids at 6 months; many now recommend skipping cereal and starting with a bit of avocado mashed with breastmilk (or formula). Then baked sweet potato, oatmeal, pumpkin, pureed peas, etc. Jarred baby food tastes awful, is expensive, and you never really know what is in it. Be sure to avoid the allergy trigger foods. This is not a complete list: before age 1, no soy, dairy, wheat, citrus, egg white, strawberries; before age 2 no honey, chocolate, nuts.
    Two great books /websites on feeding babies, with differing philosophies, Baby Led Weaning www.babyledweaning.com and Super Baby Food www.superbabyfood.com You should be able to find them at your local library

Answer by rkoloms at 11:03 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

• Beware. The cereal could start waking her. There's really no need. Rice cereal is really just junk.

You've lucked out incredibly and I would NOT mess with it. If she sleeps so well it's a bloody miracle. And go throw salt over your shoulder because publishing the sleep schedule is an engraved invitation to change!

As rkoloms noted, you can introduce other foods. Don't expect anything to make her sleep better. Nothing does that but the need to sleep better.

Answer by gdiamante at 11:45 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

• I would say try at night just giving her a small bowl of cereal with breast milk and see how she does if she takes it then you can start just feeding her at night cereal and that should fill her tummy enough to get you through most of the night
    mommy2b924

Answer by mommy2b924 at 12:09 AM on Jul. 22, 2010

• I would say you can definitely try some rice cereal mixed with breastmilk at this point.
    jacksmom3707

Answer by jacksmom3707 at 2:54 PM on Jul. 22, 2010