Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

1 Bump

a grey eye momma + a green eye daddy = a brown eye baby?????

is anyone in the situation where one parent has grey eyes and the other green eyes? what color did your baby's eyes turn out? and if you have green eyes, were they green right away or did they turn brown first and then turn green later? i'm so confused.... i thought for sure she would either have grey or green eyes! lol i guess that shows how much i know. she is 10 mo if that helps any

 
Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:49 PM on Jul. 21, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

This question is closed.
Answers (13)
  • I have blue eyes. Both of my parents have blue eyes. My husband has hazel eyes. His mom has hazel eyes, his dad has blue eyes. Our daughter has brown eyes. Eye color is way more complex than they make it out to be in Biology class.

    http://www.thetech.org/genetics/asklist.php?category=Eye+color%2C+Hair+color%2C+Blood+types%2C+and+Other+Traits

    scroll down and you will see answers by a geneticist regarding eye color
    Christina807

    Answer by Christina807 at 10:29 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

  • Check this out! Its cool. Tells you how the eye color thing works.

    http://museum.thetech.org/ugenetics/eyeCalc/eyecalculator.html
    kuriequinn

    Answer by kuriequinn at 9:53 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

  • Sort of, my hubby has blue eyes I have brown eyes but our daughter has gray eyes. She was born with blue eyes but she's almost 3 now and they are a lite gray color.
    mommy_of_two388

    Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 9:51 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

  • This takes you back to highschool biology class.
    You both carry a brown eye gene, brown eyes are more dominant and colored are a recessive gene. So its random what the baby may inherit.
    I have hazel and my SO has brown and our son has grey. He carries the colored eye gene because his father has colored eyes, mine does also. We both carried both genes and our son ended up with colored eyes, our next could have brown though.

    When my son was born they were the exact color they are now (18mo). But wben I was born I had brown eyes and around 2 months they lightened and turned blue, now since I was 16 they slowly turned hazel.

    Genetics are not sure gamble, kinda get what you get.
    sassy_brizzy

    Answer by sassy_brizzy at 9:53 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

  • no, sassy, i do not have a brown eye gene. grey (and blue) are recessive genes and if i had a brown gene i would have brown eyes
    Anonymous

    Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 9:54 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

  • Both hubby and I have brown eyes, my son has blue
    so you're wrong in your theory that if you carried brown you'd have brown. My son obviously carries the gene for brown since his parents have brown but he has blue.
    DarkFaery131

    Answer by DarkFaery131 at 9:58 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

  • Does anyone on either side of your family have brown eyes? If so..theres your genetic brown eye connection.
    Also, my sisters daughter has green eyes. My sister has brown eyes, her husband has blue eyes...so where did she get her green eyes from? Our mothers mom had green eyes.
    kimberlyinberea

    Answer by kimberlyinberea at 9:59 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

  • According to my results our kid that is due in September has a 37.5% chance of having blue eyes, a 12.5% chance of having green eyes and a 50% chance of having brown eyes.
    kuriequinn

    Answer by kuriequinn at 10:00 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

  • no, darkfaery, i'm quite positive that your son has grandparents with blue eyes. and you and hubby both have one brown eye gene and one blue eye gene. since you each have a brown eye gene, that's why you and hubby have brown eyes. and you obviously have blue eye genes and both of you passed that to your son. there is a 25% chance of that happening when you have a brown/blue combo for both parents. that's not what my question was about..... i got an a in my genetics class in college lol. my question is more about if you have green eyes are they green right away or can they be brown first?
    Anonymous

    Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 10:02 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

  • kimberlyinberea, green eye genes are recessive like blue/grey eye genes and were passed from the grandmother. your sister did not show green eyes bc brown is dominant over green, but she still passed the gene to her daughter
    Anonymous

    Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 10:04 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN