Anyone have back surgery? (posted under pregnancy)

I'm wondering if anyone has had any kind of back surgery before a pregnancy, and if/how it affected their pregnancy and labor.

I had a severely herniated disc in my lower back after a fall in Feb of last year (2009). After weeks of physical therapy, there was no improvement to the excrutiating pain in my back and shooting down my legs. I was also beginning to lose feeling in my feet and legs (I still have numbness in my right foot, which I'm guessing I will never get back). I had an MRI dome, and the disc was pressed up against my spinal cord. I had a partial discectomy in April.

So, now I am very excited to be pregnant (we were going to start TTC around the time I fell!), but nervous about my back. Any input, advice, shared experience would be appreciated :)

noliegirl

Asked by noliegirl at 9:52 PM on Jul. 21, 2010 in Health

• Hey! I dont have any hernitated disks so I can't help you there but I did have back surgery a few years before I got pregnant. I was in a car accident. and broke my lower back so they put 4 screws 4 bolts and 2 plates back there. In the beginning I had severe back pain but once I hit the 2nd or middle of the 2nd trimester it surpisingly went away and my back felt better than ever before. Im thinking maybe bc my big belly and the baby leaning out took all the pressure off of it. As far as labor and delivery I had back labor so it hurt either way. but it was very tolerable I couldnt and didnt want and epidural considering the hardware is exactly where the epi needle goes I got to 7cm and. ended up having a csection that didnt inerfere with my back. GL to ya! :)
    Chas21

Answer by Chas21 at 10:27 PM on Jul. 21, 2010