know anything to help with c section recovery

will be having a c section for my baby in a few more months and was hoping anyone can give me any tips on my recovery. What's worked for you to help in your recovery??

ezziriah

Asked by ezziriah at 9:58 PM on Jul. 21, 2010 in Pregnancy

• walk, it sucks at first, but the quicker you get up and do it, the easier it will be. and also, DO NOT, lift ANYTHING they tell you not to. Shower daily, to keep the incision site clean also.
    ArmyWifeAshlie

Answer by ArmyWifeAshlie at 10:00 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

• My mom gave me good advice. She told me to go in thinking it was going to be the worse pain ever, and then it wont be so bad. My recovery was so good that I faired better than my friends who had vaginal births. Walking helps a lot. Also, when getting up and down, have a pillow with you and just press it agains your tummy. It helps to take some of the pressure from your muscles and it eases the pain down when getting up and down. And like armywifeashlie said, shower daily, just being clean feeling will make you feel so much better and it helps to keep it clean.
    vickwu

Answer by vickwu at 10:07 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

• I am an unusual/extreme case, but it took me two years to fully recover. After those two years, I talked to my doctor about the pain that I kept having in my abdominal/incision area whenever I got up, stretched, lifted. etc. (I had mentioned it other times, but we just thought it would go away...) and she felt all around and pushed on my stomach/ab area and I haven't had pain since. She must have moved something back into place, thank God! Bottom line - don't question any pain that you have after those 8 weeks - that is NOT normal.
    beckie66

Answer by beckie66 at 10:09 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

• when you say use a pillow do you press against the incision or your stomach? I just had the worst c section with dd and I fear that same pain as before. I know it will be painful. I guess I just dread it.
    ezziriah

Comment by ezziriah (original poster) at 10:10 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

• Walking and moving around helps a ton. Also, be aware that you need to pace yourself. About two weeks afterward, you'll feel great in the morning and do a bunch of stuff, but it'll catch up to you in the afternoon. Definitely take the pain medication and don't try to tough it out.
    LittleD96

Answer by LittleD96 at 10:11 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

• i agree with the suggestions about getting up and walking as soon as they let you. don't let anyone baby you and wait on you (if you're so lucky to have people offer lol). that will only make it worse when you do have to get up. don't try to do laundry or anything, but it's ok to cook and do some light housework. i used the prescription motrin for a week and then stopped. also, take good care of that incision. i would request stitches instead of staples bc imo staples are just disgusting and painful. i have had 3 c-sections and always had the dissolving stitches and they leave minimum scars. when you have the staples you have to get them cut out a few days later and sometimes the staples leave scars plus the incision scar. gl!
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 10:13 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

• o this will be a repeat c-section? the first one is always the worst! for me it got better each time. with the third i only had to stay in the hospital for 2 days not 3 so i was happy about that lol
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 10:14 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

• The most important thing is to walk as soon as possible! Don't just stay in bed. Its hard and painful, but you recover much quicker if you walk within a few hours of having the csection. Also, get a lot of rest beforehand, and have a lot of pillows around to use to lean on/lay on. Good luck!
    soccerchik8287

Answer by soccerchik8287 at 10:17 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

• princessbeth79 yes this is a repeat. my first one I was in the hospital almost a week but that is cause dd had complications too
    ezziriah

Comment by ezziriah (original poster) at 10:17 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

• omgosh! I know! I had a c-section with my twins and it was horrible! I sitll can't feel my big toes and my incision is still numb. I'm having a c-section in September and I'm dreading it. I'd rather push this baby out then to have another c-section ever again. hopefully this time it wont be so bad but I already experienced the pain and I'm sooo scared! I don't wanna do it!
    babyangelromero

Answer by babyangelromero at 10:31 PM on Jul. 21, 2010