yuck, ringworm problem and new baby on the way.help!

seriously don't know what to do or how to respond.so.....my mother's cats(and her a while ago) have ringworm!and my sister and her 5month old have all recently contracted it(they live right next door to mom, so their there every day). im due sept. 2nd and have a four year old and really don't want us to get it. problem is mom really wont do much about 8+ cats that have it, other then spray them with some OTC med for no more then 4 days. i have read it can take 2 weeks to show up and 6 to 12 weeks to treat and get rid of.i watch my niece a few days a week and i don't want it to spread to us, or my home.she just started otc med and i don't want to hurt my sister feeling BUT i don't want it either and im worried it may already be on us and in my home now too. so i cant clean with bleach enough and not sure what to use on te carpet and couches.

and when the baby is born then what? i don't them touching him if they

ryderslilbro

Asked by ryderslilbro at 10:04 PM on Jul. 21, 2010 in Kids' Health

• It's not prefect, but when I worked @ daycare those infected with ringworm had to keep it covered, (bandage) when @ the daycare. You can insist they do that while in your home. It's not a cure, but it can help prevent exposure in your home.
    SAHMinIL2

Answer by SAHMinIL2 at 10:08 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

• well it helps to know what ring worm is, and how it's best treated.. one: it's not an actual worm, it's a fungi, and two, there are different kinds and each needed to be treated for what it is.. http://www.medicinenet.com/ringworm/article.htm  here is everything you need to know about ring worm

xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 10:13 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

• Tea tree oil will kill ring worm. Apply it to the area.
    Autumn22

Answer by Autumn22 at 1:55 PM on Jul. 23, 2010

• It's a fungus, you treat it with the same kind of ointments that you use on athlete's foot and keep the area covered until it's healed. My brother used to get ring worm on his butt from sitting in the sand outside and playing in it, but no one in our family ever got it from him.
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 11:12 PM on Jul. 23, 2010