New Guidelines for c-sections, do you agree with them?

WASHINGTON – Most women who've had a C-section, and many who've had two, should be allowed to try labor with their next baby, say new guidelines — a step toward reversing the "once a cesarean, always a cesarean" policies taking root in many hospitals.

Wednesday's announcement by the American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists eases restrictions on who might avoid a repeat C-section, rewriting an old policy that critics have said is partly to blame for many pregnant women being denied the chance.

Fifteen years ago, nearly 3 in 10 women who'd had a prior C-section gave birth vaginally the next time. Today, fewer than 1 in 10 do.

Last spring, a National Institutes of Health panel strongly urged steps to reverse that trend, saying a third of hospitals and half of doctors ban women from attempting what's called VBAC, for "vaginal birth after cesarean."

sweet-a-kins

Asked by sweet-a-kins at 10:25 PM on Jul. 21, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• I support VBACs fully, but it should be decided between mom and doctor. If mom wants a C section, fine. CHOICE.
    mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 9:00 AM on Jul. 22, 2010

• That's great for more women to have an option. Though, honestly, I wouldn't mind another c-section. It was too easy and painless, lol.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 10:59 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

• As a mom who had 4 c-sections, this is good! My 1st was an emerg section. The 2nd I had to be induced to start labor cause my water had broken, but labor would not start.....horrible! I ended up with another section because I didn't dilate. They have meds now to help with that! I do think that this should be a decision between the doc and the mom, but I also think that too many are too quick to choose a section because it will be less painful, or more convenient or whatever. Things like that should not even be a factor! The only thing that should come into it is the health of the baby and the mother! I believe VBAC is a valid option, and should be done more than it is. I'm surprised that it isn't with the advances they have made in medicine in the last few years!
    29again

Answer by 29again at 11:18 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

• I THINK IT SHOULD BE LEFT BETWEEN THE DOCTOR AND THE MAMA
    mamaofficer

Answer by mamaofficer at 2:03 AM on Jul. 22, 2010

• Don't you mean they are changing guidelines for Black people? RACE BAITER! lol

I hope you know I'm kidding, I could not resist
    stacymomof2

Answer by stacymomof2 at 10:28 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

• That's FANTASTIC!

I've been sitting here, trying to think of something else to say, but, WOOHOO! Is all that comes to mind! lol.

milfalicious08

Answer by milfalicious08 at 10:31 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

• I think this is a good idea. they have so many monitors and such that if there was real trouble an emergency c could be done quickly. I had both of mine vag and no drugs. I still shudder thinking of the pain, especially since I was induced for my second (pitocin is the devil, truly)
    stacymomof2

Answer by stacymomof2 at 10:31 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

• Yes, c-sections should be done for emergencies and serious issues,small pelvis , etc. not just for convenience. Hopefully the VBAC will work out okay-- with no ruptures.
    gertie41

Answer by gertie41 at 10:39 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

• Yes, I agree with these.
    anxiousschk

Answer by anxiousschk at 10:40 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

• I think thats awesome!
    nsrush83

Answer by nsrush83 at 10:49 PM on Jul. 21, 2010