What is a panic attack like and how do you cope with/get through them??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:30 PM on Jul. 21, 2010 in Health

• It's an overwhelming "Fight or Flight" feeling. Meaning you want to run as fast as you can out of the situation. I just take a deep breath when I feel one coming on. If you get in the middle of one it's harder to control yourself. I have them with heights, water, needles, etc.

Cindy18

Answer by Cindy18 at 10:33 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

• The first three months I started having panic attacks I was convinced I was having heart attacks. You get so overwhelmed, sometimes you don't even know why, and all you can think about is your symptoms- fast pulse, trying to breathe, it all just sort of overtakes you. I went to the hospital a few times because I didn't know what was happening.. Eventually I had to learn to tell myself "You are not having a heart attack, just breathe, concentrate on something else"- it took a few months.. but now I rarely get them.. good luck! They're no fun :(
    LishaBee

Answer by LishaBee at 10:34 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

• A panic attack can be terrifying. I have them when I'm in large crowds or small enclosed areas, and I wake up in the middle of the night having them if I feel confined. If I'm awake, like in a large crowd setting, I will break out in a cold sweat, my heart will start pounding fast, and I get really shaky and have this fear engulfing me. When I'm asleep, and say the covers get wrapped around me, or the dog jumps up in the bed and I'm stuck between her and hubby I wake up with my heart racing, having difficulty breathing, and this horrible fealing of fear, or more like terror. I have to get up and go sit in a chair, or go outside and sit, and just force myself to breathe and calm down. I know the things that will trigger a panic attack in me, so I try to avoid them, like crowded rooms, elevators, sitting on the outside seat in auditoriums, loose fitting night wear, and limited covers, and a king size bed ... lol
    txmom-o-3

Answer by txmom-o-3 at 10:46 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

• For me I feel like the world is ending and almost like a dream state, after it's over I'm extremely tired..
    CokietheClown

Answer by CokietheClown at 2:28 PM on Jul. 22, 2010