Did you ever give your cat a bath?

Was it a good experience or a bad one? Looking for the best answer.

Shophealthy

Asked by Shophealthy at 10:49 PM on Jul. 21, 2010 in Just for Fun

• OMG! It was the worst experience of my life! My cat rolled in motor oil so he needed a bath and a shave. We brought him to a animal groomer and when we walked in the cat started yowling and scratching me and the lady says..."UH...we don't take THOSE!".

So I called the vet and they gave us a sedative for him. We sedated him and waited the 30 minutes and gave him the bath. Somehow it revived him and when we went to shave him he FREAKED out! Yowling and scratching the entire time. He finally shit on the table he was so upset and trying to get us to stop. It was horrible! Never again!
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 11:00 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

• no but my sister did, and she has the scar to prove it.
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 10:51 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

• Ahh. We used to try to give our cat a bath, but he cut our arms so bad that we just gave up! Trying to hold him down and listening to him "MEOOOOW" was just too much.. I also tried the cat wipes, for a "water-less bath", but gave up because it didn't work. Over time, I've realized that cats clean themselves for a reason, and they probably do a better job than I do anyhow! :)
    LishaBee

Answer by LishaBee at 10:51 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

• lol, horrible experience. i had to give my cats flea dips when i was a teenager. they were literally climbing the curtains in the bathroom trying to get away! and then my mom was mad that they broke the curtain rod lol. meanwhile i looked like some sort of frankenstein monster with scratches everywhere. not a good experience lol
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 10:51 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

• My cat loves a bath and shower.. He is in the shower with me everynight
    SouthernCharm04

Answer by SouthernCharm04 at 10:52 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

• I fostered 6 kittens for the SPCA.  I hand raised them since they were 3 weeks old and had to bath them since they were still too young to clean themselves.  Poor little things looked so funny soaking wet.  I towel dried them and then used the blow dryer on a low setting lol. 

beeky

Answer by beeky at 10:55 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

• Yep. We did on a regular basis, just have been lazy. Our cats were somewhat used to it too. If you start bathing them early, they get somewhat used to it.
    kuriequinn

Answer by kuriequinn at 11:05 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

• When i was 16 our family cat got sprayed by a skunk (we lived in the sticks). My brother had been in a car accident a few days before that and had just had an 8 hour brain surgery...so i didn't want to burden my mom with it. I called the vet and he told me to try tomato or toothpaste....smearing toothpaste on a cat is not only nearly impossible, it makes them MAD!! It didn't help the smell in any way. She smelled so strong...our entire house was stinky. I went and got tomato juice....again, no luck. It took about 2 months for the smell to completely wear off. I don't have any scars...but she got me with her hind legs in the tomato bath. She's never been sprayed again, so I assume she learned her lesson. She's still alive...and as feisty as ever.

momjoy1027

Answer by momjoy1027 at 11:16 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

• yes, when she went outside and got super dirty and when she had fleas, I bought a flea shampoo treatment and washed her up, it killed most of the fleas, she scratched me a few times but kept looking at me like "please stop" it was really sad, I did it as fast as possible.
    babyangelromero

Answer by babyangelromero at 11:46 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

• We've had our kitty since she was 4 wks old ( her so-called mother refused to care for her at all) We have to bathe her because I have allergies and she has long hair. We started doing it at 4 wks old and she wasn't thrilled about it but she doesn't tear us up or anything. We try to do it once a week. I use Johnson's and Johnson's regular gold baby shampoo. It's tear free and mild. Plus she smells like a baby afterwards. She doesn't like the hair drer, I suggest using a cool setting and low. It also helps if prior to bathtime you trim the cat's nails, front and back. This way if she claws you at all, its not as bad. Stay calm too, they sense fear. Give them lots of love, hold them nicely, make sure the water isn't too hot. It helps to give them cat treats too. My husband kisses our cat on top of her head once she's rinsed. She likes this lol. Its the only time he does it.
    SweetLoveofMine

Answer by SweetLoveofMine at 1:54 AM on Jul. 22, 2010