Discipline techniques?

First, please no bashing of other Moms, as is something I've seen before when it comes to discipline/time out questions. My daughter turned two in May and I'm curious as to how some of you Moms have disciplined your children. She's only two but advanced for her age (speech/personality wise) and definitely knows when she is doing something wrong- usually on purpose. We started using timeouts (playpen way) which are sometimes effective, however impossible in a restuarant, car, etc. So I'm open to any and all advice on how you let your kid know what they are doing is wrong, besides the obvious of saying "no" and/or "stop it". Oh and she's also in a new preschool, where she's doing very well but we're concerned some of her new attitude may be a result of what she's learning from another child.

lexi8622

Asked by lexi8622 at 11:17 PM on Jul. 21, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I think when she does something she knows is wrong is when you correct her. Consistency is key.

When you say do not ___ then she looks you in the eye and defies you, that's when discipline needs to come into play.

I think also we parents need to make life easy on our kids if we can. I do not put things at their level they cannot have. My purse hangs high by the door, scissors, permanent markers are away, my books are all shoved together tightly, all the kids can do is touch them, not get any out. There are plenty of kids' books at the coffeetable, at their level.

Time outs or a spank on the hand worked for us. It's tough tho because it's the same things that tempt them day in and day out. They're only human.

txdaniella

Answer by txdaniella at 11:25 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

• well, she can definately have a time out (i start at 1yo). i would suggest making her stand in a corner for 2 min., not a playpen. bc then you can do timeouts anywhere (resturants, playdates, etc.). as for the car, i reward good behavior bc punishing the bad is pretty hard when you're driving. when we reach our destination and they have been good i give them a little sour mint (sugar free mints like they have at the grocery check-out line). that works better for me than yelling in the car lol. i just say calmly i guess somebody doesn't want their mint and then they are good again for the rest of the ride. and if they are bad, you have to follow through and be consistant with the punishment (or lack of reward). if you're not then they'll play you and that's not good for anyone!
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 11:32 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

• The biggest thing that I do is actually a complete fluke. I don't tolerate whining very well, so one day I asked her if she needed to "go be sad", She made a pouting face and said " (sniffle, sniffle) ... yeah..." and then went and put her hands on the wall like she's seen her friend do time out. When she's done, and she gets to decide, I'll ask her if she's happy. If it's yes, we're good... if it's no, I strongly encourage her to "go be sad" again.

Sometimes, she'll say "I no want it" and then I tell her "well then, be happy".

We still use timeouts too. The only real difference between the two is that with "be sad", she gets to say when she's done, and with timeouts, I get to say when she's done (which she hates a lot more).
    tyheamma

Answer by tyheamma at 4:51 AM on Jul. 22, 2010

• I have two academically advanced children. It can be hard sometimes to discipline because they are often "older" than their years, but, in reality, they are still little kids. you know? Emotionally they are little kids. In terms of having impulse control and an ability to ignore the inner little voice pushing them to test limits - still little kids. (I say this about my 8 and nearly 6 yr old. LOL!) Just remember that at 2, your DD lacks the developmental ability to control her impulses well. Just because she *knows* it's wrong does not mean she has the will power to say no to temptation. Yes, you have to correct her, but don't assume she's going out of her way to cause trouble. Two year olds are ALL about testing their limits and seeing how far they can get away with stuff. They also have a natural curisoity and that inability to resist something that's calling to them. (cont in another box)
    ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 10:20 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• I agree, time-outs can be done anywhere. I remember one rotten shopping trip where my DD ended up pouting standing about two feet off from us staring at a box of cereal because she was "in time out" in the supermarket.

Other options, though - reward good behavior. Get her busy. When we shop, even today, my two get a list. When they were younger it hade pictures and words. now it's just words. They have a "job" to do and it keeps them focused on happy good behavior. I may say "If you behave in Target we can stop at the park after." We've also done sticker charts. If they misbehave bunches, no sticker for the day. If it's a mostly good day, they get a sticker. After so many stickers they get a reward.

I do give reminders. My kids are used to hear - we all make mistakes. We all forget some rules. I'll remind you of the rule but if you keep breaking it or argue withme over it, then we have trouble.
    ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 10:26 PM on Jul. 22, 2010