How do I tell if my neighbor poisoned my dog?

She's very lethargic, vomiting, and won't drink. Her hair is falling out... She's had all her shots... My neighbor is the kind to do that, but how can I tell for sure?

Tes...Jacksmami

Asked by Tes...Jacksmami at 11:17 PM on Jul. 21, 2010 in Pets

• Call the nearest emergency vet or take your dog there tonight ~ if she was poisoned it may well be too late by morning.

Emergency vets are expensive, but that's what you need now. Ask if they accept care credit if you don't have the cash or a credit card, but go now! Don't try to give her anything by mouth unless the vet advises you to when you call! I hope she makes it.

And, if someone else is there, have them check your yard (by flashlight if necessary) for any odd things or food remnents. If it's poison, any help the vet can get as to what it was will be invaluable. It would also help prove a case if it is poison.
    Farmlady09

Answer by Farmlady09 at 11:33 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

• take your dog to the vet,
    cassie_m

Answer by cassie_m at 11:18 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

• take the dog to the vet.
    DarkFaery131

Answer by DarkFaery131 at 11:18 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

• Take the dog to the vet. Maybe keep your dog on a leash in your own yard. Unless your dog dies and you have an autopsy your not going to know what caused the death. Even then you may never know who did it.
    mmmegan38

Answer by mmmegan38 at 11:19 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

• you can't unless you ask and they tell or there is evidence
    take your dog to vet
    lovmyhubby

Answer by lovmyhubby at 11:19 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

• The vet can run blood and other bodily substance tests, and may be able to help your dog.

Answer by Bmat at 11:25 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

• Get the dog to the ER vet immediately. There is no time to waste if a dog has been poisoned!
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 11:29 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

• First of all, as others said, get her to the vet!! She is sick whether it was poisoning or not, she needs vet care. They can usually tell by blood tests if its poison, but there is no way to prove it was your neighbor unless someone saw them do it. You could ask around if anyone else could have seen the neighbor feeding your dog something. I hope you have taken her to the vet by now though.
    stargazerwolf

Answer by stargazerwolf at 11:47 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

• Thanks, but the nearest ER vet is about 200 miles away... Our vet is only around once a week.
    Tes...Jacksmami

Comment by Tes...Jacksmami (original poster) at 12:35 AM on Jul. 22, 2010

• What kind of vet is around once a week?

I think this is a troll post.

If not, then get the dog in the car and drive the 200 miles to the ER vet. The dog is your responsibilty, get the fuck off the computer and take care of your dog. If you can't take him to a vet that is closer and have him put down. Being dead is better off then suffering.
    Acid

Answer by Acid at 1:34 PM on Jul. 22, 2010