It's 10:30pm, I can't sleep due to my MIGRAINE, and I am pregnant, what can I do!?

smokisses

Asked by smokisses at 11:21 PM on Jul. 21, 2010 in Pregnancy

• I went to the ER on base ages ago for a migraine and the Chief of Flight Medicine saw me that night. After checking me and giving me a shot (I wasn't pregnant btw), he also told me what he always told the pilots. Get in the shower, run it as warm as you prefer for about five minutes, and than shut off the hot water. I have arthritis and just the thought made me hurt ~ but it sounded logical. Migraine pain comes from the dilated capillaries (sp?) and the blood bouncing through them instead of flowing normally. Cold makes them contract. So I modified his suggestion and stuck my head and neck under the sink faucet. I let the warm water run for a few minutes and than shut off the hot and just let the cold douse me. It does work (but don't blow dry your hair afterward, just wrap up with a towel!).

You should get some pain relief, at least a few hours ... and you can repeat as necessary. Feel better!
    Farmlady09

Answer by Farmlady09 at 11:28 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

• do you have an icepack???? if you do, put it on your head, and go lay down...the blue gel icepacks are the best for migraines!! i feel for ya hun!! hope you feel better soon
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 11:23 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

• take a cool bath in candle light and put a wash cloth over your eyes then after a while of that go to sleep. I have terrible migraines and that always helps. Doesn't relive it but it cools it down a bit.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 11:23 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

• your usaully allowed tylenol
    call your on call doc and ask them
    lovmyhubby

Answer by lovmyhubby at 11:22 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

• Take a warm bath, have someone (if available) to massage your neck and shoulders. Alternate warm/cold compresses on your head.

If you have a fever, or if it goes away and come back frequently, or you have blurred vision..contact your doc, as there could be an underlying cause for it.
    Common home remedies for migraine headaches include:

Apply a cold towel on your head
    Take a cold shower
    Take a nap
    Exercise
    Biofeedback (ask your doctor)
    Relaxation techniques such as meditation or yoga
    Medications for Migraine relief: Most health care providers consider acetaminophen to be the pain relief medication of choice during pregnancy but you should always talk with your own personal health care provider before taking any medicaiton. Pregnant women should NOT take anything with aspirin unless prescribed by a health care provider. Consult with your health care provider about the best form of pain relief for your migraines.
    JnKsMommy

Answer by JnKsMommy at 11:24 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

• im pregnant 29 weeks and my doctor always me Tylenol and a small amount of black coffee something in the caffeine helps the migraines i get them really bad that i get sick to my stomach and cant get up from bed and try not to eat to much chocolate that can cause migraines when pregnant too but talk to your doc.
    cnoble927

Answer by cnoble927 at 8:11 AM on Jul. 22, 2010