Would you let your child,8 yrs. old, to run through a park ata concert with her friends?

My daughter hangs out with this very independent 8 yr. old,her mom doesn't watch her and this is when tons of people are at the park.I can't let mine do that,she still needs me to help her contact her friends when she gets lost.Tell me would you let your child do this?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:43 PM on Jul. 21, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I have my kids stay within eyesight of me, if they can see me well, I can probably see them. I make the boundaries clear but at a concert, they'd stay with me. I'd make your daughter STAY with you, and her friend can too. You'd feel awful if something happened to either girl :(
    txdaniella

Answer by txdaniella at 11:45 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

• no 8 yrs old is to young to be running around alone, a parent must be with them at all times before i let them run around espeically at a concert where there's thousands of people and anyone of them can snatch them up
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 11:45 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

• nope. some people just don't watch their kids at all. i have 6yo in my neighborhood that their parents let them go to the playground and be home alone afterschool. i think that they can't be alone until they are like 12 or 13
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 11:46 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

• Nope. My kids are with my always. That's way too young.
    buzymamaof3

Answer by buzymamaof3 at 11:46 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

• Unfortunately, no. It perhaps isn't because of her, it is because of how the world is. That is how I would approach it with her. Explain to her how very sad it would make you, if something happened to her. Because you love her not that you don't trust her!
    Blessedinthenw

Answer by Blessedinthenw at 11:54 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

• There is no way I would let my eight year old daughter do that. I would keep her in eyesight. I think that there is too much that could happen in even a short amount of time.
    nebraskamamaof2

Answer by nebraskamamaof2 at 11:56 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

• absolutely not 8 is still kinda young to be roaming around with no supervision, even if there are adults there, they are not gonna make themselves responsible for a child that 's not theres. I wouldn't let my 8 year old do that.
    babyangelromero

Answer by babyangelromero at 12:03 AM on Jul. 22, 2010

• My 10, 8 1/2 and 7 1/2 year olds and they play at the local park by themselves all the time along with a lot of other kids in our neighborhood.  It gets pretty busy on Satrudays with all the soccer and baseball games going on.  I think it's great.  Of course around here people look out for each other so I feel safer the more people there are around because I know there are other adults looking out for the kids (they do that of their own accord because we are all neighbors and it's the nice thing to do).

justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 10:07 AM on Jul. 22, 2010

• 8 years old...not in a million years!!
    motherofpearls

Answer by motherofpearls at 11:32 AM on Jul. 22, 2010