how much do i pay my brother in law

My brother in law is painting a mural in my son's bathroom. I usually treat him very good with food. I buy him whatever he wants for dinner, getting him whatever drinks he wants. Having enough food for him to enjoy! He's currently in school and does not work. He lives with his parents. He's about 35 yrs old. He draws and we paint and he works on the details of the mural. How much should I pay him? I asked him and he said whatever.

rosadnr

Asked by rosadnr at 11:48 PM on Jul. 21, 2010 in Money & Work

• maybe $10-15 an hour? I have no idea if that's too little or too much!
    Ashlynnsmommy07

Answer by Ashlynnsmommy07 at 11:49 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

• I would say pay for the job. How much does a painting cost? It depends on how big it is too....I would say at least a couple hundred.
    CAGirl4

Answer by CAGirl4 at 11:49 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

• i would say $100 but then again i am imagining it in our bathroom..... i am assuming that yours is not super huge
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 11:51 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

• Oh I couldn't pay him by the hour, he's super super slow. His nickname is Lazy! Not talking bad about him but I'd owe him wayyy too much if I paid him by the hour. Hehe

Well he sleeps over from thurs-sun. So I feed him ALL day! He eats a lot. If I would pay someone to do this for me I would probably pay about 500.00 and I wouldn't have to feed them. So I figured give him 200 tops.
    rosadnr

Comment by rosadnr (original poster) at 11:56 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

• Well, My mom had a mural done on my ex husband did murals, and he got paid between $200 and several thousand dollars depending on the size and the amount of time that was involved......and did I mention this was in the early 80's? Since it's your brother in law, and you guys are helping, you probably don't have to pay him full price, but since he's going to school and not working, paying him something that would make it worth the effort would probably be appreciated. I would call and find out what a mural would cost in your area, and adjust accordingly. Think about how many hours he's putting into it, and what his time is worth. Even in the 80's my ex made at least $50 an hour.
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 11:56 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

• I meant to say my mom had a mural done, and my ex husband did murals....anyway, I think your $200 is probably fair!!
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 11:57 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

• I think you should ask him again. Im sure he has figure in the back of his head, if he says whatever then say Does 200.00 sound fair? Then he could speak up then.
    Esmrlda

Answer by Esmrlda at 6:35 PM on Jul. 22, 2010