How much do you spend?

How much do you guys spend on groceries for a week? We spend about $100... and theres just 3 of us, and our son is only 6 months. A lot of people say that they spend way less for bigger families. Just curious as to what others spend weekly.

BabyBugsmama

Asked by BabyBugsmama at 1:00 AM on Oct. 2, 2008 in Food & Drink

• 3 of us in this house...it depends on the time of the month and what else is going on. LOL
    We live on a fixed income. So when we have a few extra bucks...we get extra groceries ...things we only buy as a special treat. Other times....I'd say about $100. We too have WIC so formula is paid for.
    We actually do really great when my hubby goes shopping alone. He can stand there and compare all the different brands and sizes of one thing until he figures out what is best for the money. I DO NOT HAVE THAT KIND OF PATIENCE. LOL...I love that he does. Sometimes He comes home only having spent like $60 and getting a TON of stuff.
    jjessers

Answer by jjessers at 1:34 PM on Oct. 2, 2008

• $100.00 sounds about right for us too. We have a 13 month old and there are only three of us.

AvasMommy810

Answer by AvasMommy810 at 1:02 AM on Oct. 2, 2008

• We spend about 100-120 a week for my family. It's my hubby and me and our two and a half year old. But that is seven days of breakfast, lunch and dinners (I pack DH's lunch everyday).
    toriandgrace

Answer by toriandgrace at 1:03 AM on Oct. 2, 2008

• We're a family of 3 with my daughter being 2 and we spend about $60. Im a cheap shopper. Barely any name brand stuff and I shop Walmart too. I get the most for my money there.
    Oldham80

Answer by Oldham80 at 1:07 AM on Oct. 2, 2008

• ^^^ Holy cow!! You need to teach ME to shop! I would LOVE to save $160.00/month!!!

AvasMommy810

Answer by AvasMommy810 at 1:15 AM on Oct. 2, 2008

• Same as Oldham80, I only spend about $150.00 every 2 weeks. So not quiet as cheap as her, but still cheap.

Some tips:
    -Buy family packs of meat. Chicken, pork, Hamburger, etc. and split it up yourself.
    -Don't pay $3 for a tiny bag of salad mix when you can buy a head of lettuce for less than a dollar and cut it up yourself.
    -Expensive Juices aren't necessary. Buy some frozen juice concentrate, Iced Tea, etc. and get more bang for your buck.
    -Don't shop at name brand stores (I don't know what you have in your area, here we have Safeway as the expensive store). Frozen items and boxed items are just as good at a Grocery Outlet type of store.

Those are some of the main points to saving while shopping, as well as avoiding snacks and junk food, using coupons, and using some off-brand products.

CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 1:25 AM on Oct. 2, 2008

• Oh, some other things...Don't buy canned veggies...you get more for less if you buy frozen, and tastes better (more fresh) when you steam frozen veggies.

(When I mentioned Iced Tea, I meant to buy a box of tea bags, not a pre-made jug of tea)

If you have a sweet tooth, don't buy things like, Little Debbie Snacks. Buy some cake mix and have some quality time with your kids baking cakes (if they are of that age. But ANY kid of ANY age loves to lick the bowl afterward!)

CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 1:29 AM on Oct. 2, 2008

• $50. cash, and $22 in food stamps
    ksqueen

Answer by ksqueen at 1:49 AM on Oct. 2, 2008

• 150-200 a week
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 2:20 AM on Oct. 2, 2008

• I spend about $100 a week on groceries and there is 5 of us.
    sammiesmom2000

Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 6:49 AM on Oct. 2, 2008