Why should you tip?

Too many times I've seen people say, "It's not mandatory, so why should I?" And as someone who works in a business that replies on tipping, I hope you read this(link below) to gain some insight onto why tipping may not be mandatory it should be given.. as well as a list of what you should be tipping and to whom..

xxhazeldovexx

Asked by xxhazeldovexx at 12:06 AM on Jul. 22, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• I'm a waitress and I make 2.13 per hour and rely on tipping...and since I pay tipshare to the hostess, busser, and bartender I get really upset when I don't get tipped because i still have to pay them 3% of the total sale...so when I get stiffed I actually lose money for taking the time to be nice and explain the menu and get refills.....
    shortleo

Answer by shortleo at 12:08 AM on Jul. 22, 2010

• well i used to live in nj where full service is mandatory so tipping is not what you do there.... but i'm assuming they mean at a self-serve place. i always tip at least 20% if the service is good. if i am waiting around all day for cold food and my order is wrong..... if i get my head burnt up or my shirt wet while i'm getting my hair done....... if i get extreme attitude and poor service, my tip is start looking for a new job because obviously this one is not for you. i tip good for a job well done, but i refuse to tip for crappy service. i don't feel obligated to tip just to tip kwim?
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 12:13 AM on Jul. 22, 2010

• I always tip or over-tip!
    Homeschoolmom99

Answer by Homeschoolmom99 at 12:08 AM on Jul. 22, 2010

• I used to be a waitress, so I always tip well.
    KelleyP77

Answer by KelleyP77 at 12:12 AM on Jul. 22, 2010

• I try to tip. I never realized how little waitress get paid until one of my friends was getting a job as a waitress. I think all waitress and of course waiters should bet paid minium wage. Because you can't count on tips so why should they have to rely on tips. It should be like a daily bonus versus actual income. When I go out to eat at a restaurant I always try to give 10 -15% but now I don't always give pizza delieveries tips. A lot of my local pizza places charge me for deliveries and so I don't feel that I need to give a tip. Now I do live where is snows and if it is really cold or bad weather I try to give a tip.
    Gardiner.bug

Answer by Gardiner.bug at 12:16 AM on Jul. 22, 2010

• If I can't afford to tip, I can't afford to eat at a restaurant..plain and simple. It's so stinking rude to not tip...these people are not there to wait on you for free.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 3:23 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• Do unto others.....People in the service industry are serving me for what reason? They certainly do not work so hard because they owe me or are enslaved to me. If you know the job is low paying TIP. If I can't afford to tip at least the percetage a waitress has to pay in taxes, then I can't afford to go out to eat.
    KISS1224

Answer by KISS1224 at 3:25 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• I tip because it just is something my parents have always done. That is the only reason I can think of.
    tryin2BGOOD

Answer by tryin2BGOOD at 12:08 AM on Jul. 22, 2010

• I worked at starbucks and depended on my tips, I never use to tip before then but now any time I see a tip jar I make sure I tip, whatever I have even if its 10 cents, if I get really good service I'll sometimes tip 1-5 dollars if not then sometimes just my change.
    babyangelromero

Answer by babyangelromero at 12:08 AM on Jul. 22, 2010

• Oh and my reason? My father parked cars as did I I am a huge tipper and the person the server loves cause I learn the name as soon as I sit down and act right! My half sister hates to tip! Why in blue blazes IDK but she never does!
    Homeschoolmom99

Answer by Homeschoolmom99 at 12:11 AM on Jul. 22, 2010