What would you recommend doing in Chiago, IL?

I am going to see my husband, who is in the Navy in Chicago, IL (Great Lakes, IL). I have never been to Chicago. What would you recommend to do and where to eat??

USNavyWife0330

Asked by USNavyWife0330 at 12:07 AM on Jul. 22, 2010 in Travel

• Hate to say this but if his graduating from boot camp you cant leave great lakes. They have Six Flags in that area though. Hubby graduated 4 years ago and that was the rule then but Six Flags is just 15 minutes from the base.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 12:11 AM on Jul. 22, 2010

• He has already graduated. I was up there for graduation but now I returning to actually spend some time with him. I just want something fun and different to do.
    USNavyWife0330

Comment by USNavyWife0330 (original poster) at 12:15 AM on Jul. 22, 2010

• The Navy Pier, Sears Tower (it is called something else now I think?), Aquarium, Planetarium
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 12:18 AM on Jul. 22, 2010

• Downtown Chicago is always fun. Lots of beautiful statues, stores, Lincoln park zoo, Pizza spots, good site seeing.
    mrs2323

Answer by mrs2323 at 12:33 AM on Jul. 22, 2010

• I LOVE LOVE LOVE the Shedd Aquarium!!!
    coder_chick

Answer by coder_chick at 12:59 AM on Jul. 22, 2010

• Oh, and if you're looking for somewhere excellent and kinda fancy to eat, Nick's Fish Market... *drool* SO YUM! I'd highly recommend the swordfish if they still have it!
    coder_chick

• I love swordfish!!!! I will def. go there! I will look into the shedd aquarium. Thanks!
    USNavyWife0330

Comment by USNavyWife0330 (original poster) at 1:04 AM on Jul. 22, 2010

• I've never been there, but have family that has and they say you have to eat deep dish pizza there, it's a creation all its own
    SweetLoveofMine

Answer by SweetLoveofMine at 1:32 AM on Jul. 22, 2010

• Yes, Six Flags and Hurricane Harbor are near base, as is Gurnee Mills discount mall. In the city, check out Second City, the Shedd Aquarium, the Field Museum, the Museum of Science & Industry, the Adler Planetarium, the Art Institute, Buckingham Fountain, Grant Park, Navy Pier, Brookfield Zoo, Lincoln Park Zoo, shopping on Michigan Avenue or State Street. Chicago has a wonderful theater district too. If you like clubbing and dancing, go to Rush Street. Take an architerctural tour (there are several, both on land and on water). See a sporting event or concert. Lots of blues clubs if you're into that. As far as restaurants, Nick's Fish Market is great; also love, love, love Opera (good food and great atmosphere) - there are tons of great restaurants. I know we're famous for its deep dish pizza but I can't stand the stuff but you might want to give it a go. Chicago has lots to offer!
    FootballMom85

Answer by FootballMom85 at 8:22 AM on Jul. 22, 2010

• try googling-Chicago tourist info , I just did and tons of stuff came up. what interst me may not intrest you. I love Chicago!
    chefjen

Answer by chefjen at 4:06 PM on Jul. 22, 2010