My fellow flat-footed mommas, I have a question!

So I found out today that I have flat feet. If you have flat feet, do you have back problems? Is there a certain kind of insole you use that adds comfort? I've had back problems and ankle problems for too long. I'm not sure if it is related to my feet being flat or not. Any advice is greatly appreciated, as always! Thanks!

nicolemstacy

Asked by nicolemstacy at 12:31 AM on Jul. 22, 2010 in Health

• i would ask your doctor. Yes you can get insoles for your shoes.
    sta517

Answer by sta517 at 12:36 AM on Jul. 22, 2010

• I personally dont have flat feet but my s/o does and he does have back problems. It could be a coincidence, or it could be from the flat feet. I'm not exactly sure. He went to a special shoe place and they just inserted some custom insoles into his tennis shoes. It didnt take away all the pain, but it really helps!
    Morgs7531642

Answer by Morgs7531642 at 12:38 AM on Jul. 22, 2010

• Yes, my sister has flat feet and she always had back and ankle problems..she currently uses those Dr. Scholl's Mapping technology the customized comfort. You can go to a Wal-Mart.
    Angeleyez08

Answer by Angeleyez08 at 12:38 AM on Jul. 22, 2010

• I have flat feet. I just buy shoes that have a higher arch in them. I don't have back problems and my knee and ankle problems (as far as I know) were brought on by injuries.
    army_wife_06

Answer by army_wife_06 at 12:39 AM on Jul. 22, 2010

• I don't have flat feet myself, but my husband does REALLY bad. He had surgery when he was about 13 (took some bone from his hip, and put it in his ankle, also shortened his tendon, etc) to help create an arch... and he still doesn't have one (but at least he's not in a wheelchair, which is what they predicted without surgery)... anyway... I can't remember the brand, etc of insole that he wears, but his father recommended ones that look like this http://www.algeos.com/acatalog/Algeos_Product_Range_Cobra_Pads___Soft_Sponge___Low_Rise_15.html#aSE1114 . It was MUCH easier to find several years ago, I didn't have much luck finding the exact one. But it's that shape, and a very soft gel material.

Flat feet may or may not be associated with your back problems, but if the feet aren't distributing the weight correctly, it's going to throw everything else off. So try out some insoles, give it a few weeks and see if the back improves.
    coder_chick

Answer by coder_chick at 12:44 AM on Jul. 22, 2010

• I don't have flat feet but I protect my feet with expensive insoles - Pedag holiday insoles because I notice immediately if I don't have arch support and it feels uncomfortable. So, my advice, buy good shoes and good arch supports and you will probably notice a difference in your entire body.
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 7:27 PM on Jul. 22, 2010