Argue

Which is it Debate or Argue. . .lol. . . and do you like to? I was reading some of the "Questions" listed under Debate and had to respond to a few. . .I could not resist. . .lol. . .
So which is it. . . just a way to argue for fun. . .or a valid debate?

Kirs

Asked by Kirs at 12:55 AM on Jul. 22, 2010 in Just for Fun

• I love to debate. I think it's fantastic.
    I do not like to argue.

To me the difference is simple. Debate uses logic, reason and facts to back up opinion. And is used to expand ones knowledge and possibly, challenge ones personal beliefs about whatever topic.
    Arguing (IMO) gets personal and is not open to new logic, reason or fact. And is used to only convince the other person that their opinion is wrong.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 1:02 AM on Jul. 22, 2010

• i personally think both but of course the topic depends on the answer as well
    marisab

Answer by marisab at 12:58 AM on Jul. 22, 2010

• I think that arguing is more of when you get angry and start to ignore what other people are saying because you are so focused on what you are going to say next, and that debate is where you present your beliefs on a topic, listen to the other viewpoints and then address what you agree/disagree with in a rebuttle (sp?) to those statements. Does that make sense?
    imafuswb

Answer by imafuswb at 1:03 AM on Jul. 22, 2010

• I concur. . . I like to know what I am talking about and if I am not sure I will look it up and correct myself if necessary. . . Debate can be fun.
    Kirs

Comment by Kirs (original poster) at 1:04 AM on Jul. 22, 2010